Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else found out that their front diff was over filled from factory? I have a 2014 jk. Got it last April new and last summer noticed slight wetness underneath the a/c compressor. It was very small so I wasn't worried at first. A little about me. I am a mechanic. Mostly worked at a nissan dealer. So last week I did my oil change and noticed it got worse. So I took it to this dealer to check it out. Also had some other things wrong with it. Small stuff for them to fix. Picked it up at the end of the day and they said they didn't see a leak. So I got a little upset. Told them to put it on a lift and I'll show them the leak. I showed the guy and he also noticed the breather tube for the front diff was leaking. I told him it looked more like something was leaking on to the tube from above. So he pulled the full plug on the front diff and gear oil came flying out. Apparently it was so full it was blowing the fluid upwards. I was upset and asked him if he's ever seen this before. He said once or twice. Now me being a mechanic is wondering if that has compromised my axle seals. I checked to see if they were leaking and they seem fine. Just worried and upset because it's a brand new jeep. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
common issue. but seems like if the vent is not plugged should not have built up enough pressure to hurt a seal. I know on my 2014 rubicon the front takes less than a quart to fill and specs say supposed to be 1.3 or something like that and rear takes less then 1.5 qt and supposed to take over 2 so I am guessing the factory fill is what ever they spec. I suppose it depends on how the axle is tilted how much oil goes in before coming out fill plug. Probably sit at a different angle at the dana-spicer factory then when on the jeep.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. The unit isn't sealed, the pressure and excess fluid can be vented thru the tube.

If it was on a lift then the axle was drooping and not level, which may have caused it to drain excessively.

Curious to see other's input and if anyone else has had this problem.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
When I put aftermarket covers on my TJ, I filled to the fill hole on the rear. Not thinking about the fact that the hole was higher than stock, it was overfilled. It didn't hurt the seals, but made a huge mess all over the driver side of the gas tank. The vent tube did what is was supposed to do and relieved the excess pressure. You should be fine.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There have been complaints over the years about difs. being over and under filled from the factory. Just check the levels on both. Open the fill plugs and see if the levels have to be adjusted. The seals should be fine. Some think that they have to add the exact amount of fluid that it's spec'd for which isn't the case. The specs are for a "dry" fill from the factory. When the dif. fluid is changed there's fluid in the axle. That's why what jadmt indicated is accurate. No two JK difs will take the same amount of fluid when it's changed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same exact front overfill experience for my 2013 (D44s). Had it on the lift recently for an oil change and decided to check dif fluid levels. Opened the front fill plug and it literally gushed out. Rear was a little overfilled too, but not anything like the front. No obvious external leaks or wet/damp spots visible.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,130 Posts
Our first trip up in the mountains with our new wrangler, also caused us to have a oil leak. It was also a very hot day. Our Wrangler had less than 1000 miles on it. When we arrived, I parked it in the garage at our cabin. The next morning when I pulled it out, I seen some oil on the garage floor. It was dripping front the lower CA on the drivers side. I traced the oil leak to the front diff overflow vent. This vent is high up above the CA. I pulled the filler plug, and yep, way over filled from the factory.
I now have about 13000 miles on mine, with now leaks, so your seals should also be O.K.

I checked my rear diff level and also the transfer case level. They were both correct.

When I brought mine home new, I checked all of the levels under the hood, including the auto trans fluid. They were all O.K. But obviously, I should have also checked the bottom end levels.

This is why, when ever you purchase a new or used vehicle, the first thing that you should do to it is check all of your fluid levels. Also check your tire pressure. And then get in the habit of checking your engine oil and coolant levels weekly, or at least at gas fill ups...:thumb:

It's really sad to see how many never check their engine oil and coolant level, and even worse, some don't know that they should or even how to do it...:(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my first new vehicle purchase. Always checked fluids and stuff on used vehicles I had in the past. I guess I just had too much faith in thinking everything was all set. I mean when I worked in a nissan dealer we checked all the fluids on new vehicles, drive them, checked for leaks. Made sure they were aligned right.
Also the lift he had my jk on was an alignment lift. Those are leveled. Compared to a traditional lift. I'm not too worried. It's still under warranty and completely stock until my warranty expires. I figured I would leave it stock until I have to pay for fixes myself lol. Only went wheeling about twice in the snow with my baby. Haven't fully seen what it can do yet. Good to hear I'm not the only one though and nothing else has failed. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just walked in my garage today and saw fluid on the ground on my 2 month old JKUR and expected the worse. It first appeared to be similar in color and viscosity to motor oil. After further review I see it is coming from the front diff overflow tube up near the top of the shock mount and dribbling down on CA as mentioned by others. Do I just remove the plug and let it drain until it stops and then put the plug back in?

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
I just walked in my garage today and saw fluid on the ground on my 2 month old JKUR and expected the worse. It first appeared to be similar in color and viscosity to motor. After further review I see it is coming from the front diff overflow tube up near the top of the shock mount and dribbling down on CA as mentioned by others. Do I just remove the plug and let it drain until it stops and then put the plug back in?
yup

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,130 Posts
I just walked in my garage today and saw fluid on the ground on my 2 month old JKUR and expected the worse. It first appeared to be similar in color and viscosity to motor oil. After further review I see it is coming from the front diff overflow tube up near the top of the shock mount and dribbling down on CA as mentioned by others. Do I just remove the plug and let it drain until it stops and then put the plug back in?
^^^Also, Brake Clean will remove the oil and odor from the spill over!!
If not, you will smell it every time that you pull it into your garage.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
^^^Also, Brake Clean will remove the oil and odor from the spill over!!
If not, you will smell it every time that you pull it into your garage.
nothing worse than stinky gear oil lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess this is pretty common. Kind of disappointing. Quality control seems kind of bad for this.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Guess this is pretty common. Kind of disappointing. Quality control seems kind of bad for this.
it is a Chrysler product lol. You can not buy a Chrysler product and expect quality.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,130 Posts
The issue here is not only Chrysler/Jeep factory applicable, but what about their Dealers????
Their Dealers are paid by the factory to perform a Pre-delivery inspection. Unless it has changed, that has always included checking all fluid levels, so that doesn't say much for the Dealers either.

In all fairness, I have owned General Motors vehicles most of my life. My first new vehicle, was a 1965 Chevy Super Sport. So my point here is, I have found GM new vehicles also both over and under filled, through out the years.

So this is a age old problem, that dates way back and to current, with the Auto Industry as a whole!!!!!!!!!

Sad, but true.IMO...:(

·
Registered
605 Posts
With all the crap I see going wrong with brand new Jeeps I seriously think there is one, if not a group of people on the line purposefully sabotaging Wranglers, can't prove it, i know mistakes happen, but I find there are a whole, whole, whole bunch of posts on here with brand spanking new JK's with minor to serious problems that are hard to overlook. Jeep should be tracking these issues to who was on the line during a Jeeps build. That is exactly what I would be doing if I was in charge. I would be having the dealers report back all problems to us at "Jeep" for any problems that occur on a Jeep within it's first year, track it to the crew on the line, and from there things would get serious and folks would be losing their jobs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, but you left out the refilling part ...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts