Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smelled burning oil today when I got out to open a BLM gate. Crawled underneath my Jeep, and the was differential oil on the undercarriage. I found the breather hose had pulled out of the differential, I pushed it back in. My question is, what keeps it in there, or do i need to take it in as the hose and metal piece came out? Is it supposed to be staked from the inside, or is it supposed to be RTV'd?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The hose, out of the factory, is simply fit over the axle breather outlet tube with nothing else holding it in place. So it easily just slides on (or off). You can remedy the issue by installing a hose clamp.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was afraid of, my whole outlet tube pulled out of the differential, it wasn't just the hose that popped off.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If your Jeep is lifted they can be more likely to come off. In that case you will probably want to totally replace and extend your differential breather hoses with fuel line. Then put a hose (worm-drive) clamp on there on the axle attchement point for good measure. There is a write-up for people who have lifted there Jeep and want to extend them here Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Axle Breather Hose Extension

If your wanting to extend the rest of your breathers while your at it I did a write-up about that here. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ex...h-pictures-axle-and-transfer-case-185089.html With a lifted jeep there is a spot on the rear frame were you would need to un-attach the breather hose from the frame and give it some more slack if you were not doing a total hose replacement. The front diff breather may have an attachment point too I didn't look to much because I'm not lifted yet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not lifted, the whole nipple and hose popped out of the diff.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Hmmm......the nipple should be threaded where it goes into the differential. If the threads are ok, you can install a new nipple.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the threads are shot, you could probably just JB Weld it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will call the dealership, there were no threads, looked like just a press fit piece.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The nipple is held in with a form of lok-tite, so I applied some lok-tite and some JB Weld of the outside, don't think I will have to worry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts