Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help. I noticed under my front end a hose was hanging down. After checking it out it was disconnected from the front differential. Can anyone tell me if there is something I need to look out for to ensure I do not cause any damage. I have reconnected it but I am nervous to use 4 wheel until I get more details. Looking from behind the differential the hose was on the top left of the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I'm having a tough time seeing it in your pic, but I expect you're talking about the breather hose. Do you have any idea how long it's been off?

If you've been in any water deep enough to dunk the diff, I'd definitely inspect the fluid immediately. If not, but it may have been disconnected for a while, I'd change the fluid just to be safe as dirt or water could have got in there that normally wouldn't have.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Like weasel said, if the diff has been submerged with that breather off you're going to want to change that fluid.

Those hoses can disconnect easily, ziptie or hose clamp it for extra peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! It wasn't off more than a day. Problem is that I was on the lake the night before so there is a chance I may have taken on water launching my boat.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Unless your boat is like some 80 foot super yacht, your front diff probably didnt get near the water.

Stick your finger in the fill port, if it's not milky, you are fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's not a big one, but the brother in law backed the trailer in and it was dark. Last thing I'm going to do is take a chance over some fluid.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Did the rubber hose come off, or did the metal fitting come out of the axle? Mine was the later. If the metal fitting comes out, get it clean with carb or brake cleaner, then coat it with red loctite before pushing it back into the housing.

If you are lifted, you probably need to extend the hose so it doesn't pull out again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the metal fitting comes out, get it clean with carb or brake cleaner, then coat it with red loctite before pushing it back into the housing.
This is what happened to me. The whole fitting came out. Drove to the stealership and they assured me that nothing was wrong and reinserted the hose/fitting.

When I returned home, fitting was out again. Cleaned it with 99% rubbing alcohol (didn't have brake cleaner) and used some JB weld to affix and solve the issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fluid change would be pretty quick and easy,

If your jeep is lifted you may need to extend the hose. Its an easy to do with like 6-8 inches of 3/8id hose and a tube mender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts