Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my mechanics house and after a quick look over he's telling me I need a new front drive shaft. My question is if the front drive shaft is bent is rebuilding it out of the question? Also where would be the best place to order a new one and u-joints from?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also a my tj threw a leak detection pump code, he said I should look for one of them too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I believe a lot of people use XJ driveshafts. I know they can be cut to fit the rear end, but the front driveshaft might bolt right up.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Driveshafts are easily rebuilt by driveshaft repair shops. Not general purpose garages, not 4x4 shops, driveshaft repair shops. There are three within 15-20 miles of my house so they're around. Whatever the problem is, they can repair/rebuild it for less than the cost of a new driveshaft.

And don't just give it to your mechanic to have taken care of. He'll just have a driveshaft repair shop fix it & then your mechanic will mark up what was charged so you'd end up getting charged more.

Only 8 bolts hold it in place... 4 at the front, 4 at the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
This is new to me, "Leak Detection Pump?" I couldn't even find this in my Haynes Repair/Rebuild Manual! :-<

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
This is new to me, "Leak Detection Pump?" I couldn't even find this in my Haynes Repair/Rebuild Manual! :-<
Neither Hanes nor Chiltons manuals are good for anything much more complex than changing the brakes or spark plugs, I wouldn't even consider buying one for working on my Jeep. They attempt to cram too many model years & models into one thin small manual, it isn't particularly accurate for any single model year. The only accurate trust-worthy manual that you can rely on is the Mopar FSM (factory service manual) which is model-year specific.

A leak detection pump places a vacuum against the fuel system, hoses, gas cap, etc. to insure gasoline vapors don't escape. When a leak is detected, that could be a cracked rubber hose or as simple as the gas cap not being on tight. Or the engine was started or run without the gas cap tightly in place. I wouldn't expect the leak detection pump itself to have gone bad, though of course it is a possibility.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe a lot of people use XJ driveshafts. I know they can be cut to fit the rear end, but the front driveshaft might bolt right up.
Could anyone verify this? Im currently looking for a local driveshaft repair shop in south jersey.. but the closest place is about 1 1/2 hours away.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Could anyone verify this? Im currently looking for a local driveshaft repair shop in south jersey.. but the closest place is about 1 1/2 hours away.
There is a reputable drive shaft shop in Farmingdale, probably around 90 minutes from you. Ebay might be a good idea for a used one, also check Craigslist for a local part out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts