Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues running aftermarket front double carden DS? I have a 3.5" Pro Comp lift. (Kit came with coils, adjustable trackbars, tie rod end links.) I installed lift and cams on the lower control arms. 4WheelParts did the alignment. Havent had any issues whatsoever until I was installing rear lights on SRC gen 2 rear bumper and noticed grease all over the heat shield coming from the front drive shaft. My wife primarily drives the jeep and dont want any issues. I purchased the Pro Comp aftermarket double carden DS. I am wondering if this was the right choice or has anyone else had issues or a better solution. I can post caster and pinion angles in a few. Got to get out there and check them and verify what they were on the alignment sheet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it out. Definitely a torn boot on the CV joint. Now scratching my head on how to change to yoke on the transfer case to the carden style yoke. Anyone have any ideas on a somewhat easy way to do this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I have a Rubicon that has the fixed flange yoke and the drive shaft I got does not have the yoke to mount to this.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I run an Adams front double cardan drive shaft. Had it on since May of last year. My only issue was when I replaced the t-case yoke, I didn't put RTV on the splines of the output shaft on the t-case and I had a small leak. Once I removed it and put RTV on the splines as well as the nut, torqued it back down, the leak was gone. I left the flange on the pinion and ordered the DS with the flange adapter on it.

Your CV boot tearing is very common on lifted vehicles. Another option for you would be Teraflex's high angle RZeppa joint. It replaces the stock CV joint on the drive shaft. It's a much lower cost alternative, however, I also tore the slip joint boot on my DS where it hits the exhaust. An after market DS was my only real option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run an Adams front double cardan drive shaft. Had it on since May of last year. My only issue was when I replaced the t-case yoke, I didn't put RTV on the splines of the output shaft on the t-case and I had a small leak. Once I removed it and put RTV on the splines as well as the nut, torqued it back down, the leak was gone. I left the flange on the pinion and ordered the DS with the flange adapter on it.

Your CV boot tearing is very common on lifted vehicles. Another option for you would be Teraflex's high angle RZeppa joint. It replaces the stock CV joint on the drive shaft. It's a much lower cost alternative, however, I also tore the slip joint boot on my DS where it hits the exhaust. An after market DS was my only real option.
Thanks for the heads up on the RTV. Did yours come with a cap or anything to cover the seal? The stock yoke had a seal cover but the new yoke does not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Just the yoke.
Thanks for the help. It's all in and no vibration so I consider it a win. I bought the Pro Comp EXP55827B. The one thing I wasnt crazy about was the nuts on the u-bolts would contact the shifter linkage bracket on the transfer case. I filed the nuts down after I torqued them and during the test drive I could hear clicking in 4 low so I need to see how I can fix that contact too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts