Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my '97 TJ at the tranny shop due to "chirping" and "rattling" coming from the front drive shaft. I replaced the ujoint at the differential but not the rear at transfer case. Now my tranny guy tells me it may be the ujoints or some bearing. If it's the bearing the shaft will need to be machined to fit new fittings. I have a 4" lift with 2" spacers. Is it safe to stay with a front shaft that is OEM spec or do I need to customize to accommodate the lift? I have stock rear drive shaft. The SYE is in the future; however, if a new front drive shaft is necessary, can I stay with the OEM spec. Also, I am planning on adding a 6" long arm by Rough Country in the future. Will this added extention require to elongate the front shaft to accommodate the long arm?

Thank you.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
A stock front shaft will be fine with a 4" lift. If you go 6" it may need extended, but I am not sure. The u-joints can go out, but the ball centering joint is a lot of the time the culprit with the chirping. Do a search for angry sparrows and you will know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. The double carden at the transfer case. I replaced only ujoint at front of driveshaft. I had front driveshaft disconnected for a while to stop the chirping and rattling. However, when I reconnected the front driveshaft with new ujoint the noise returned. So, even though I have a 4" suspension lift with 2" spacers on coils, when determining length of SYE kits or front driveshaft, I should only take into consideration the 4" as my height versus 6" total height?

·
Registered
220 Posts
the chirping is because of a bad cv joint... I had the same problem and I replaced all the cv joint components and no more chirping... the vibrations are to do with the length of the driveshaft and the angle at which it connects to the axle

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
IF your CV at the t-case is chirping, it's wearing out ( or worn out ) due to lack of grease at the ball and socket and/or the two u-joints are worn as well...

They are standard 1310 u-joints, same as the single in the front... and can be a challenge to change unless you have done it before.... but can be done....

A reference pic for ya....

When neglected... this can happen on the trail.... happened to my friend on our last trip to the Rubicon Trail...

·
Registered
527 Posts
IF your CV at the t-case is chirping, it's wearing out ( or worn out ) due to lack of grease at the ball and socket and/or the two u-joints are worn as well...

They are standard 1310 u-joints, same as the single in the front... and can be a challenge to change unless you have done it before.... but can be done....
When talking about lack of grease at the ball and socket, Is there a grease fitting to pump in grease?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Some have the grease fitting and some don't.... most take a needle tip on the grease gun....

some have a lube point here....

and some here.... mine is like this... only one point though.. not two

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
What is the part number for the ball bearing? I just went to napa and we couldn't find it.
it depends on your shaft and it's called a centering ball . Sorry... don't have the p/n for you....

There is a rebuild kit that comes with a new seal and ball and I think the spring as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Appreciate your effort to show, thanks! Damn, I miss that.

Some have the grease fitting and some don't.... most take a needle tip on the grease gun....

some have a lube point here....

and some here.... mine is like this... only one point though.. not two

1 - 11 of 11 Posts