Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my front driveshaft off today to replace my u-joints.

I got all the bolts off at the transfer case, but managed to bugger one of them up. It's probably not so bad that I couldn't get it back on, but it's bad enough that I'd be worried about getting it back off next time.

I'd like to order a new one, but I'm not sure who would carry them, or what to even search for.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
631 Posts
You can get OEM from a dealership or online. Since DaimlerChrystler went from SAE to metric in 03 I would assume you are looking at a metric part, which is 6036415AA. However the person in this thread (Bolt size for front drive shaft on transfer case side - JeepForum.com) had an 03 and the 05 bolts were too long.

The earlier model TJs up to 02(maybe 03?) had 5/16-24x1.170 with a 5/16 head (the standard head for a 5/16 is 1/2). Supposedly you can fit a 1/2in head on the tcase side but I am not so sure that is a good idea.

Here is an example of something you could find at a hardware store: 92316a323:McMaster-Carr You would need to take 0.08in off so that the bolt doesn't bind on the H part of the CV assembly.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get OEM from a dealership or online. Since DaimlerChrystler went from SAE to metric in 03 I would assume you are looking at a metric part, which is 6036415AA. However the person in this thread (Bolt size for front drive shaft on transfer case side - JeepForum.com) had an 03 and the 05 bolts were too long.

The earlier model TJs up to 02(maybe 03?) had 5/16-24x1.170 with a 5/16 head (the standard head for a 5/16 is 1/2). Supposedly you can fit a 1/2in head on the tcase side but I am not so sure that is a good idea.

Here is an example of something you could find at a hardware store: 92316a323:McMaster-Carr You would need to take 0.08in off so that the bolt doesn't bind on the H part of the CV assembly.
Interesting. My bolt looks like the OP's bolt in the post you linked.

I checked my bolt with calipers and it looks like I have the earlier style. I guess they hadn't completely switched over to the metric style in '03.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the part number with those measurements: 6034966

Now to try and get some in before I go wheeling next weekend!

·
Registered
455 Posts
looked high and low online, cant find a pn, but I got spicer ones from my local driveline shop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts