Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are strong opinions on who makes the better front drive shaft:

Tom Woods
JE Reel
Coast

I did a forum search and it seems to be an even spread of these three. I figure I will need one soon enough and would like to hear pros and cons of these, or if there is a better brand out there.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
All three are good. I bought a JE Reel because that's what the guys at Full Traction, where I bought my lift, sell.

Put twelve Jeepers in a room and make em choose among the three, and my guess is you'd pretty much get 4, 4, and 4.

I don't know of a downside to any of them.

Up to a 3" lift, you'll want a 1310. Above that, a 1350.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
All three are good. I bought a JE Reel because that's what the guys at Full Traction, where I bought my lift, sell.

Put twelve Jeepers in a room and make em choose among the three, and my guess is you'd pretty much get 4, 4, and 4.

I don't know of a downside to any of them.

Up to a 3" lift, you'll want a 1310. Above that, a 1350.
X2.... what kbwwolf says... and same reason for choosing the JE Reels.... that's what the guys at Full Traction recommended. They did my lift. I went ahead and did both... (even though they told me I could wait)... I'm out by myself a LOT... and a tow from most places around Moab is the cost of a DS... that's called dame reasoning :thumb:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your thoughts. Would the 1350 be too large of a diameter for a 3 inch lift and end up hitting the exhaust again? The extra large u-joints would be nice, but may be overkill. Extra stength in a driveshaft is a good thing I would think.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
JE Reel says the 1310 is good for lifts up to 3" with 33" tires.

I have a 3" lift with 35" DuraTracs...but they're closer to 34's than 35's, and are one of the lightest tires you can buy.

Most of the folks I talked to – including Steve, one of the Full Traction engineers – said the 1310, which I'm running, is more than enough for my setup.

If you're planning to run a really heavy combo like 35" Nittos, you might wanna consider the 1350. Marinehawk is running one with his 4" lift and 35's. I don't think he ran into any clearance issues.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JE Reel says the 1310 is good for lifts up to 3" with 33" tires.

I have a 3" lift with 35" DuraTracs...but they're closer to 34's than 35's, and are one of the lightest tires you can buy.

Most of the folks I talked to – including Steve, one of the Full Traction engineers – said the 1310, which I'm running, is more than enough for my setup.

If you're planning to run a really heavy combo like 35" Nittos, you might wanna consider the 1350. Marinehawk is running one with his 4" lift and 35's. I don't think he ran into any clearance issues.
Thanks wolf. Yes, I saw Marinehawk's build and he is going heavy on almost all counts. I'm using some of the same components but will have 33" Duratrac 285/75 R16's with a 2.5" RK lift (may change that). After looking around I think I'll go JE Reel 1310 also. Did you do the stock replacement or did you change the flange out?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks wolf. Yes, I saw Marinehawk's build and he is going heavy on almost all counts. I'm using some of the same components but will have 33" Duratrac 285/75 R16's with a 2.5" RK lift (may change that). After looking around I think I'll go JE Reel 1310 also. Did you do the stock replacement or did you change the flange out?
I bought the OE replacement.

That should be plenty for you, if you stick with what you listed above. In fact, on their own website JE Reel says that a # of their product vendors sell the 1310 to folks with up to 5" of lift, apparently with few problems...but they don't recommend it (almost certainly for liability reasons).

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Any of the three mentioned driveshafts are good. I'm using a Coast 1310 because that is what was recommended and it was cheaper than the others. I've put 3500 miles on it so far with no problems.

The main reason that I chose a 1310 over a 1350 was because I didn't need the heavier duty driveshaft. I've read the the beefier 1350 won't flex as much as the 1310 because the u-joints are bigger and won't allow for more angle, but I don't know that from personal experience. I was also told by a guy that does JK hemi conversions that he recommends a 1310 even if you have a hemi because it is cheaper to fix the broken u-joint of the driveshaft than it is to repair something that breaks in the axle or transfer case. The 1310 u-joint would be the weakest link in the drivetrain. Adding the 1350 could cause something else in the drivetrain to be the weakest link for breakage.

·
Registered
291 Posts
fireron said:
Thank you both for your thoughts. Would the 1350 be too large of a diameter for a 3 inch lift and end up hitting the exhaust again? The extra large u-joints would be nice, but may be overkill. Extra stength in a driveshaft is a good thing I would think.
If you limit your lift to 27.5" long shocks and a 1310 shaft it will clear the exhaust with no mods needed.

IMO I would stick to 1310's even on 37's. That way your u-joint is the fuse on the driveline and not your ring and pinion.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you limit your lift to 27.5" long shocks and a 1310 shaft it will clear the exhaust with no mods needed.

IMO I would stick to 1310's even on 37's. That way your u-joint is the fuse on the driveline and not your ring and pinion.
Thanks for the reply! I think that is the way I will go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts