Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used jeep last week, 08, 4 door, automatic JK wrangler X, 35" tires.. 3" lift.
I'm a complete idiot and didn't check it very well.. feel free to hammer me.
I couldn't get it into 4H or 4L today, crawled under to look at the linkage and noticed the front drive shaft is absent.
Can't get a hold of the seller, thats fine i accept my mistake. At this point i just want to know why he took it off.

What are some reasonable assumptions or reasons to drive without it.. by the looks of the dirt its been off for a while.

I'll grab a replacement.. but wanted to be prepared this time for what else might be wrong.

I can rotate the front yoke at the transfer case when its in n or 2, and when i shift it to 4h i can feel it engaged. So that seems ok

Maybe he re geared it in the rear but not the front? I'll spin the wheel and count rotations later today.

any other thoughts on what to check?

thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
My guess is that either he re geared or replace rear end, or the front shaft failed. Good luck.Sounds like a bit of a POS seller if he did not mention it.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
moved from TJ to jk

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Mismatched gears(front vs rear Duffy) bad joint in driveshaft, bad diff makes noise only under load, bent (hit rock)driveshaft removed, damaged transfer case, trying to get tiny bit better gas mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
297 Posts
The transfer case should still shift to 4H or 4L without the driveshaft. Did you try placing the transmission in neutral before shifting the transfer case?

Sounds to me like the transfer case was damaged and front drive shaft removed so it could be driven on the street.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The transfer case should still shift to 4H or 4L without the driveshaft. Did you try placing the transmission in neutral before shifting the transfer case?

Sounds to me like the transfer case was damaged and front drive shaft removed so it could be driven on the street.
Transfer case damage, or only regeared the rear is my bet too.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Posted in error.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THanks for all the comments, I tested the gearing and believe they are the same. I looked at the carfax and it says it was a rental in Hawaii 2008-2011, maybe they took the front driveshaft off to disable the 4x4 capabilities to prevent tourists from going off road.

I'll track down a used driveshaft and gently try it out. Are the 4door and 2d driveshafts the same? Do all years JK fit?

The links above thank you PKDAILEY4, the first one doesn't work and the second is for a 2012-2018..

·
Registered
39 Posts
THanks for all the comments, I tested the gearing and believe they are the same. I looked at the carfax and it says it was a rental in Hawaii 2008-2011, maybe they took the front driveshaft off to disable the 4x4 capabilities to prevent tourists from going off road.

I'll track down a used driveshaft and gently try it out. Are the 4door and 2d driveshafts the same? Do all years JK fit?

The links above thank you PKDAILEY4, the first one doesn't work and the second is for a 2012-2018..
Yup. In Hawaii, rental companies remove front drive shaft to discourage off roading. My coworkers friends used to bring their own driveshaft when they rented on big island and take it wheeling. One day they rolled and totaled one! Insurance didn’t cover! They had to pay for Jeep.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
OK,,, 3 inch lift. Is there an exhaust spacer kit installed? If not, the boot on the DS probably got ripped. Check the oil in the front and rear diffs. If it doesn't have the exhaust spacers a factory front DS is not going to work but a TW or Adams will.

Reactions: WillB

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
297 Posts
OK,,, 3 inch lift. Is there an exhaust spacer kit installed? If not, the boot on the DS probably got ripped. Check the oil in the front and rear diffs. If it doesn't have the exhaust spacers a factory front DS is not going to work but a TW or Adams will.
This one is an 08. The 12+ have exhaust clearance issues.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yup. In Hawaii, rental companies remove front drive shaft to discourage off roading. My coworkers friends used to bring their own driveshaft when they rented on big island and take it wheeling. One day they rolled and totaled one! Insurance didn’t cover! They had to pay for Jeep.
Good to know.

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
297 Posts
Found a 2012 front drive shaft locally, will it fit the 2008? Are the 2d vs 4d different?
Should work. Fronts should be identical on 2 and 4 door.

Reactions: BamaJeeper711

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
297 Posts
My concern is the transfer case does not require drive shafts to shift from 2H to 4H.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts