Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm going to be replacing my front drive shaft. Any recommendations for a serviceable replacement. Current set up is 07 Jk with terraflex budget boost, 4.10 gears with 315/17 tires. Need budget friendly options.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it looks like my most immediate option is a Rubicon Express shaft from Four wheel parts. Don't really want to wait before I hit my road trip this weekend. The farm won't be fun without 4wd

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
[STRIKE]If you are only running a puck lift (<2.5") then you can probably replace your driveshaft with a used factory one. Those show up on craigslist etc for pretty cheap from folks that go with taller lifts.

What caused the driveshaft to fail?
[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Nevermind that all. I see from your garage that you are running a 2.5" lift. Replacing your driveshaft with another factory one will just cause it to fail again.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
My suggestion would be to never spend less than $400 on a driveshaft. rubicon express is rebranded, not made in house, possibly from china, etc.

all the big names like adams, tom woods, etc are good to go. they do one thing and one thing only, build driveshafts. you call up tom woods and ask for tom you get to talk to tom.

lately adams has seemed to be the best priced. I LOVE my front tom woods but I may go with an adams for the rear. I just installed 1350's front and rear on a buddies 2 door and I was very impressed with the quality.

I also like the fact that adams uses a yoke instead of a flange at the front pinion on their 1350 shafts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I would go with a company that makes drive shafts. JE Reel, Coast, or Tom Woods. Which ever one you get, make sure that you get a Spicer or Neapco U-Joint. I know that JE Reel and Coast come with them but, from what I remember, Tom Woods doesn't.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I would go with a company that makes drive shafts. JE Reel, Coast, or Tom Woods. Which ever one you get, make sure that you get a Spicer or Neapco U-Joint. I know that JE Reel and Coast come with them but, from what I remember, Tom Woods doesn't.
yea those were the others that I was trying to think of, but alas, shock top has rendered me unable to remember them all....:beerme:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you want something for a road trip this weekend, why not just hit CL and see if someone is offloading a factory driveshaft for cheap? Probably faster than getting an aftermarket in. Otherwise, yeah get one of the aftermarkets. One of the guys I wheel with just put Adams on his JKU and seems happy with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts