Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Jeep Sahara Wrangler with roughly 45,000 miles

It was purchased new with a turnkey lift package off the lot.

The dealer is suggesting that I need to replace the front driveshaft
as it has worn due to the lift that came with the Jeep.

They said that it was the wrong shaft to begin with and a upgrade version
needs to be installed. At a cost of $1400 plus dollars.
This is an unexpected cost and frankly I feel this is on them. Just wondering
if this is normal and if other people have had the same issue.

ps....this Jeep has never been off road

GPG

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You are getting screwed by the dealer. and after market shaft is around $500 and is a simple install

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Don’t let the dealer touch it. Just call Adams Driveshaft tomorrow (702-568-5680). Ask to purchase SKU ASDJK-1310F-S. It should arrive early next week.

It is a simple install as it comes with a flange that bolts up to the OEM pinion flange so you don't have to worry about messing with the pinion gear crush sleeve. Super easy install, and durable enough for a lifted Jeep that does not go off-road.

That is not to say there are not other things wrong with your lift, but that will cure the driveshaft issue indefinitely.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you input regarding the front drive shaft. I wonder if this is not
an ongoing issue with the sales of Jeeps with lift upgrades. If they are sold without
the proper drive shaft to begin with it looks like this becomes the problem for the owner
after the warranty expires...my bitch is that it should have had the proper shaft to begin with.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,902 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
an ongoing issue with the sales of Jeeps with lift upgrades. If they are sold without
the proper drive shaft to begin with it looks like this becomes the problem for the owner
after the warranty expires...my bitch is that it should have had the proper shaft to begin with.
That's just what dealerships do. They sell a pretty kit that will get you off the lot and to your house. And the lift kits that dealers often put on their new vehicles aren't backed by a factory warranty as often most are not Mopar kits. Sorry you had to experience that.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Driveshafts are often overlooked when it comes to lifting.

That $1400 quote is insane.

$500 shaft from adams, and I'm sure you can find a mechanic to do it in an hour labor. It takes about 30 minutes total.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'll pile on here because I just put an Adams front drive shaft on last night. It took me three hours with my pain in the ass skid plate removal, being extremely methodical and having never done it before.
This isn't a case of a dealer selling an inadequately built Jeep. The previous owner did that. Every one wants a lift and big tires but almost no one follows through will all the other things that are needed. Like a regear, stronger brakes, a new front driveshaft, correct wheel offset, stronger ball joints and a beefy tire carrier. Its not the dealers job to go through the used Jeeps they take in and do all the correct upgrades after the previous owner put on a 4" Rough Country budget lift. That doesn't give the dealer the right to F**K you out of $900 in labor for a job a pro can probably do blind folded with one hand

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I would recommend Tom Woods for a shaft. They custom make it to your measurements and ship it within a day or 2

Reactions: Thedirtman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear what you are saying but this was a brand new jeep with a lift package, tires, etc.
They have several jeeps tricked out and some people like me buy them as they are fun and cool...
and many never see dirt. My beef is that the dealer is doing these lifts with the wrong factory front
driveshaft.....maybe not all but apparently mine needs the right one......I'm calling them out on this
and they can pay for it.....will see how that plays out.

·
Super Moderator
16,795 Posts
I hear what you are saying but this was a brand new jeep with a lift package, tires, etc.
They have several jeeps tricked out and some people like me buy them as they are fun and cool...
and many never see dirt. My beef is that the dealer is doing these lifts with the wrong factory front
driveshaft.....maybe not all but apparently mine needs the right one......I'm calling them out on this
and they can pay for it.....will see how that plays out.
Totally get where you're coming from!
That said, lifts and bigger tires are a pay-to-play sport, things are going to wear out faster because they're not what the vehicle was designed for. You got what you paid for, now it's time to replace those things that will wear out because of the larger tires. This won't be the last item that wears out sooner, rather than later, due to the larger tires.

This is common for the lift packages dealers put on. They're overpriced, incomplete and geared towards people that don't know any better. I'm confident the Jeep also wasn't geared correctly for whatever size tires were put on it, brakes weren't upgraded, steering was left stock, axle shafts were left stock, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Dealer near me, says they sell them faster than they can make them. Budget basement bolt on components. They send off a new Jeep to a nearby shop and a week later these show up on the show floor. 18K premium above MSRP. I see them all over the place.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Sadly, the dealer is just providing what people are buying. If people paid attention and did their research they would know not to buy a poorly lifted Jeep.
As alluded to, Mopar does offer a lift and it even comes with a new front drive shaft made for lifted Jeeps and it is covered by the factory warranty. But sadly the Mopar lift isn't as cheap as the stuff these dealers use, they reduce their costs by using cheap lift kits and that increases their profit. And, after all, profit is what they are concerned with.
You can certainly complain to the dealer and try to get them to replace your drive shaft. But I doubt they will and even if they were willing to cut you a deal on the replacement you would still be paying too much and I would not let the dealer touch it. They will probably screw it up. Not that it is a hard job, but the guys working at the dealership aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. And they are just trying to do whatever job they are given as fast as they can since they are usually paid a flat rate for a given job.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Ask you dealer if he does crack. He must love you cuz he is really trying to screw you. People think that the dealers know good lifts, they don't. They know what shop to take it to to get a cheap one and charge like it's King Coil-overs. You can fight with the dealer if ya want, get the alignment numbers while you're at it. E mail and document everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this subject.......I'll get back to you all with how it turns out.
GPG

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dealer near me, says they sell them faster than they can make them. Budget basement bolt on components. They send off a new Jeep to a nearby shop and a week later these show up on the show floor. 18K premium above MSRP. I see them all over the place.
These dealer builds make me cringe but if I owned a dealership I'd do the same damn thing but with no warranty. Two Minnesota winters all that chipped up Smitty powdercoat will have a new $70k rig looking like a rust bucket

1 - 20 of 25 Posts