Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set my toe-in because I just installed a lift and it's way off. I've loosened both ends of the tie rod and grabbed it tight with vice grips but I cannot turn it. It only moves back and forth with the end joint play and will not twist. I've really clamped down on this thing and tried using my foot etc... but it will not budge. Any secrets out there to get the tie rod to turn?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
That's a common problem for those who have not yet applied any antiseize to the tie rod threads. Spray both ends through the slots with Liquid Wrench, PB-Blaster, or Break-Free. No, WD-40 won't help here.

Then you can use a pipe wrench on the tie rod to break it free after one of those three products has had a little time to work into the threads.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Heres what I do. Soak it with a lube like PB the heat the outer casing with a small torch The expanded metal should allow it to break free

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have sprayed both ends of the tie rod down with PB blaster a couple times a day for 3 days. I still cannot twist the tie rod. I'm going on a 500 mile trip this weekend and my alignment is way off. I just put on brand new km2's so I need to do this before I leave tomorrow. No stores are open today so I only have vise grips no pipe wrench or a torch. I could do it tomorrow morning if I need to go get a pipe wrench or a torch but I need a sure way to get the tie rod a twistin.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do you have a pipe you can slip on the end of the vice grips as a cheater bar?

What about a really big combo wrench where you can slip the round end onto the vice grips and use that as extra leverage?

There's a trick a buddy showed me a couple years ago where you use two combination wrenches to greatly increase the torque for tightening or loosening a bolt. You put the first wrench on the bolt as normal, and then use the round end on one of the prongs from the open end of the other wrench (making a longer overall wrench and changing the angle that you're applying force from) and turn. It works great for tight spaces where a normal socket wrench won't fit. I even find myself adapting the principle to other tools from time to time.

Like so:

Just try it as if the red wrench were your vice grips. Might give you what you need.

Just be prepared to snap the combo wrench if your tie rod is that tight....

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with Yjwolf, time to get out the torch

·
Registered
260 Posts
ohsixteejay said:
So I have sprayed both ends of the tie rod down with PB blaster a couple times a day for 3 days. I still cannot twist the tie rod. I'm going on a 500 mile trip this weekend and my alignment is way off. I just put on brand new km2's so I need to do this before I leave tomorrow. No stores are open today so I only have vise grips no pipe wrench or a torch. I could do it tomorrow morning if I need to go get a pipe wrench or a torch but I need a sure way to get the tie rod a twistin.
Take the end off of the drag link and try turning it at one end its much easier its what i had to do since i had the same problem as you

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would go with in the middle. Close to one side or the other and you're putting all the torque right there at that fitting and not the other.

i.e. Achy Breaky Tie Rod

Unless of course you pop one side of the tie rod out of the steering knuckle. Then, as suggested above you could put it at one end or the other. But having one end out will add to your troubles and risk snapping a tie rod end off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do I need to remove those little thin metal circle clips with the teeth before I try and rotate it? I still can't get the sucker to budge all I have right now is vice grip marks all over my tie rod.

Keebler I tried your wrench around the vice grip trick and snapped the wrench lol. What the heck is holding it on there so F$#%ing tight? it's an 06 and it's not rusted.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
The metal circle clips are simply clamps and so long as they are loose, that is good enough. Rather than vise grips, try using a pipe wrench with a longer handle that will provide more leverage to help break the tie rod loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts