Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:
After lift is it better/easier to align with 28'' tires or go ahead and swap out for the 33's before hand?

Anyone have an opinion???

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
It should not make any difference if you align the way it has been written up on some other threads. The size of the tire has nothing to do with the toe in/out. Jerry Bransford made a tread on how to attach square tubing to the rotors at equal distance for measuring. Another thread tells to do the same thing using spacers on the actual wheel and putting the square tubing against that. You then measure to the distance of the actual tire you will be running front and rear for the alignment. If you do a search on here I am sure you will find the threads.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Just align it once you get the final size tires on. With most lifts, the only thing that is "alignable" is the toe-in... the TJ doesn't come with the ability to adjust the caster or camber angles so the only thing you should need to check & adjust is your toe-in angle.

If you would like to learn how to adjust your own toe-in, and it's easily learned and done, let us know and we'll give you the info. With a modicum of care you can easily produce toe-in results as accurate as the most advanced alignment rack can.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just align it once you get the final size tires on. With most lifts, the only thing that is "alignable" is the toe-in... the TJ doesn't come with the ability to adjust the caster or camber angles so the only thing you should need to check & adjust is your toe-in angle.

If you would like to learn how to adjust your own toe-in, and it's easily learned and done, let us know and we'll give you the info. With a modicum of care you can easily produce toe-in results as accurate as the most advanced alignment rack can.

Yes Jerry I would appreciate the tips. I tried searching for the posts but me and the search engine does not get along...:angel:

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
It should not make any difference if you align the way it has been written up on some other threads. The size of the tire has nothing to do with the toe in/out. Jerry Bransford made a tread on how to attach square tubing to the rotors at equal distance for measuring. Another thread tells to do the same thing using spacers on the actual wheel and putting the square tubing against that. You then measure to the distance of the actual tire you will be running front and rear for the alignment. If you do a search on here I am sure you will find the threads.
Thanks for mentioning that Dave. I remember Jerry posting that, but forgot all about it when I went to do my alignment last weekend after replacing my bent drag link with the Currie drag link. I went with the painted tires alignment mentioned at Stu-Offroad. Jerry's idea is more accurate I am sure. I will have to pull the tires and try this out this weekend.

To the OP, here is the thread being mentioned. Compliments of JB :thumb:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/basic-tj-lj-front-alignment-86996.html

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Thanks, I had forgotten all about that thread... you just saved me from trying to duplicate it!

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Thanks, I had forgotten all about that thread... you just saved me from trying to duplicate it!
After Dave mentioned it, I remember you doing it...so I just checked your "threads started" list and managed to find it. This has to be way faster than marking the tires with paint like I did last weekend. :dance:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome! I know what I am doing tomorrow!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Funny, I just did Jerry's tube method not 5 days ago. I think it's probably the most simple and accurate driveway method I've seen. Thanks Jerry!

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am in Durham...
Ah, a tad too far, was going to offer a hand since I've got a couple of warmed lengths of aluminumat the ready. My neighbor saw me doing this and was curious. Now he thinks I'm some kind of guru mechanic! :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts