Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in need of some help with an issue I’m having on my 2015 JKUR with a 3.5” metacloak GC and their HD steering system. I’m also running 1.5” spidertrax spacer and 35” cooper STT pros.

The lift was installed back in July and everything was good for about 2 months. Recently I started to experience what sounds like binding or grinding at speeds below 40 MPH. Typically between 30-40. It seems to be coming from the front end probably the left wheel area.

I’ve inspected and retorqued everything on the front end but everything looks good. I’m still running 3.73 gears but I don’t know if that’s causing the binding noise. I’m currently overseas and don’t have a reputable shop that I can go to so I’m hoping someone has had a similar issue to help me troubleshoot.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Do you have stock driveshaft still?

Speed specific is typically wheel or tire, but it's also possible it is there at other speeds, you're just not hearing it.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
I would jack up the left front (since you suspect that wheel) and turn it by hand, listening carefully. If you have gone off road, it is also posilbel you have dinged the metal shield behind the rotor to the point it is being rubbed.

Turning it by hand and listening will also allow you to check the unit bearing. You didn't mention how may miles you had on the Jeep. Normally the will last well over 100,000 miles, but there is the chance you have on going bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have stock driveshaft still?

Speed specific is typically wheel or tire, but it's also possible it is there at other speeds, you're just not hearing it.
I still have the stock driveshafts but they are on my upgrade list. When I hear the binding I can also feel it in the floor board. It’s definitely not death wobble though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would jack up the left front (since you suspect that wheel) and turn it by hand, listening carefully. If you have gone off road, it is also posilbel you have dinged the metal shield behind the rotor to the point it is being rubbed.

Turning it by hand and listening will also allow you to check the unit bearing. You didn't mention how may miles you had on the Jeep. Normally the will last well over 100,000 miles, but there is the chance you have on going bad.
I currently have 44K miles on my Jeep and I haven’t gone wheeling so I don’t think it’s that but I’ll get it on a lift this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts