Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clunk in the front end when hitting speed bumps or sharp edges like a driveway apron. I've been under the jeep several times and I can't find anything loose. The only item I can move my hand is the tie rod and steering bars- those I can flop back and forth with my hand and make them clunk- but I don't remember the noise before the lift. Track bar is tight and so is the lower RK control arms.

It doesn't make noise during normal driving, only on a real "bump" like a speed bump- then "clunk!"

Any ideas? I'm tempted to try drop brackets and stock lower control arms and swap out the lowers to see if that's it. Or maybe it's the sway bar links? Maybe the fox 2.0 shocks don't like hard fast hits?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Wow I'll check that tomorrow! Too late on the edit- I read the first 16 things that could be wrong... :pullinghair:
Haha sorry! Feel your fender for any rough spots. If you find rough spots, then that's your problem! Good luck and post back what you find!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Check to see if your sway bar is making contact with the little circle that sticks out from the frame. That was exactly my issue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Check to see if your sway bar is making contact with the little circle that sticks out from the frame. That was exactly my issue.
Exactly what we are thinking.

Check the clearance on the sway bar bolts to the coil buckets. You may need to clear the bucket of a little material or flip the bolts around (run them inside out).

If you have a rubicon the sway bar is also known to contact the cross bar in the frame. Once again, a little clearance with a grinder will fix.

RK

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Mine was the sway bar hitting that tube in the frame. What the hell is that for anyway?

I took a grinder to it, touched it up with some paint, problem solved.
One guy on here told me a couple weeks ago that it works to center the sway and warned me not to grind it. I can't see how a Rubi with an electric sway disco would ever be able to get "uncentered" and how it would be anything other than in the way.

Mine has been fine after several rounds of grinding/clearancing and I can hit speed bumps at any speed I want now without wincing.

I also had the issue that one other member noted above where the sway link hits the bottom of the inner fender. Some tin snips on the bottom of the inner fender and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have this similar issue when I back into my driveway on a turn. I assumed it was my tie rod bouncing forward with the momentum of the jeep pulling backwards. I don't however, have the problem going over speed bumps or dips, or forward in any manner

·
Registered
258 Posts
Exactly what we are thinking.

Check the clearance on the sway bar bolts to the coil buckets. You may need to clear the bucket of a little material or flip the bolts around (run them inside out).

If you have a rubicon the sway bar is also known to contact the cross bar in the frame. Once again, a little clearance with a grinder will fix.

RK
Just found this exact problem with my RK 3.5" x-factor. Only happens with the right amount of body roll going through a dip at speed. I'm also wondering if the links are too long as my swaybar is definitely angled up, but they're adjusted as short as I can make em. I've turned the bolts around. Hopefully they I don't stab one into a tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just found this exact problem with my RK 3.5" x-factor. Only happens with the right amount of body roll going through a dip at speed. I'm also wondering if the links are too long as my swaybar is definitely angled up, but they're adjusted as short as I can make em. I've turned the bolts around. Hopefully they I don't stab one into a tire.
Your sway bar angle is fine. The front sway bar might be loose (pulling one side or another) causing contact. If you're only seeing contact on driver or passenger side this could be a sign the front axle is not entirely centered under the vehicle. If not centered it will pull the sway bar assembly and cause contact on the opposite side. Or the sway bar bushings are showing wear and allowing the bar move. To fix you can check the front axle and ensure it is centered. If it is you can clamp your sway bar. Example for TJ: Jeep Swaybar Shifting Over Fix. Or you can clear your brackets with a grinder.

RK

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the problem! I put the track bar in backwards! Doh! The bar was hammering into the diff cover on every bump. I switched it around and it's fixed.

The instructions should have a better picture or description on which way it goes. I can't believe I drove like that for 3 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts