Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I put my jeep up on a lift and did a complete fluid change (Oil, Tranny, Xfer Case) as well as a tire rotation. After that I started getting a clunking noise about 60% of the time when taking off from a complete stop. It sounds like it is coming from the front end and I can feel it in my feel coming through the floor. Along with the noise I now have intermittent shimmying when going above 50 mph. Definitely not the DW but a good shimmy.

I have searched both this forum and Google for this issue to no avail. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? My current prevailing theory is front drive shaft ujoints but I don't want to go through the effort of removing the drive shaft (which involves dropping the skid plate) if I'm way off on my diagnosis.

Thank you in advance!!!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Do a dry steering test. Have someone sit in your Jeep and turn the steering wheel back and forth from like 10 to 2 while you watch and feel your suspension components for play. Also take a look at your control arm bushings. While you are under there, you could grab ahold of your front driveshaft and see if there's any side to side or up and down play (rotational play is okay).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about my delay in response, been really busy lately and haven't been on here much. I did get under my jeep and play with the front Drive Shaft and there is a little (non rotational) play. Could that cause some of my issues? I am going to do an alignment and dry steering test this evening and report back. I will also check to see if I can spot anywhere that a weight may have come off. I will say that as I've driven it a little the wobble has become less pronounced but the "clunk" on take off is still there. I don't really hear the sound at any other time while driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crawl back under and grab your upper control arms, you'll probably find that one will make that clunking noise. Control arm bushings are worn.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crawl back under and grab your upper control arms, you'll probably find that one will make that clunking noise. Control arm bushings are worn.
Had not even thought about the upper control arms...

I will take a look at those as well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts