Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 JK X with about 100K on it. About two months ago I replaced the ball joints (alloy america), the axle shafts (borg) and put new 33" wheels and tires on. The tires are MTZ P3's, At just either side of 40Mph I can get a shuddering from the tires, almost like they are skipping. It's very difficult to explain. They basically seem to vibrate in the direction of the roll. If I accelerate or slow down through 40, there is never an issue, only when i approach that speed point slowly. At first it seemed almost like I was driving over washboard road, but I have been able to recreate it anywhere.
Anyone have a similar experience, that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's possible one or more tires is out of balance, or even underinflated. I'd verify that your front end work was done correctly and make sure nothing's loose, to include your drag link, track bar, and control arms. Front end vibrations can be a pain.

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
After checking the front and assuming there's nothing wrong with it. Rotate the tires, move the front to the rear and the rear to the front. If the problem persists it is not coming from the tires. If it doesn't persist check the tires, wheels, and balance the tires again.

You could also try and borrow a set of problem free wheels and tires from a fellow Jeeper for a test drive on your rig. That will rule out the possibility of the problem being with all 4 tires, and probably the best thing you can do to determine if the problem is with your wheels and/or tires.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
It sounds like a balancing issue, but to be safe you should check the condition of the track bar mounting bolts on both ends. If the bolts have come loose at some point, and wallowed out the mounting holes, this can lead to death wobble. Many times when shops do front suspension work on Jeeps with solid axles, they don't check the track bar. Both bolts should be tightened with the full weight of the vehicle on them. IIRC the torque spec is 125 ft-lbs.

If you have a shop that does Road Force Balancing, that usually gives the best results.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, the jeep rides and steers perfectly, and goes down the road straight as an arrow. There is no shimmy or wobble on bumps. I'm going follow your suggestions and start with inflation and balancing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem you described, it wasn't balancing.
It was cupping on inside of tires.

Run your hand along inside edge and feel it. The solution was to find one onion rear or spare with less or no cupping. Mine is fine now.
I was doing 5 tire rotations, they said the problem with that is 1 tire will always be a little different, especially when on front. They said front to rear or x rotation for mud tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem you described, it wasn't balancing.
It was cupping on inside of tires.

Run your hand along inside edge and feel it. The solution was to find one onion rear or spare with less or no cupping. Mine is fine now.
I was doing 5 tire rotations, they said the problem with that is 1 tire will always be a little different, especially when on front. They said front to rear or x rotation for mud tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cant feel anything, tires are new, only about 500 miles on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts