Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When braking the front end shakes. It is sort off like a bad shock??? I not sure what could cause this?? Anyone else have this problem?? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rotors? Make sure there's nothing stuck in them and make sure they aren't warped and in need of replacement.

·
Registered
489 Posts
well, just a thought, But when u brake, the rear axle and diff. points down, causing a bad pinion angle, which results in driveline vibes. If that is the case, they adjust ur upper arms up just a tab. Are u sure it is coming from the front? Well, thats just a thought.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Do we have anti-lock brakes? First time mine kicked in on my truck I though the front end was gonna fall off!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Do we have anti-lock brakes? First time mine kicked in on my truck I though the front end was gonna fall off!
ABS is an option on a wrangler, $600 bucks I believe. I opted to not have it, but some do.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Odhinn there is an x2 above lol so you are x3 and i'm x4 on warped rotors :flipoff: Have some one machine your rotors or you can replace them but machining should be cheaper. If you were closer i could have done that for you :D

My company car is a cherokee 98 that had abs.. we would replace the rotors and a month after it will be trash again. So far all my cars no abs.. no problems...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Odhinn there is an x2 above lol so you are x3 and i'm x4 on warped rotors :flipoff: Have some one machine your rotors or you can replace them but machining should be cheaper. If you were closer i could have done that for you :D

My company car is a cherokee 98 that had abs.. we would replace the rotors and a month after it will be trash again. So far all my cars no abs.. no problems...
Do you have a machine to turn rotors??

·
Knows a couple things...
49,078 Posts
ABS will not cause warping, it has nothing to do with brakes in that way. The ABS system even only does anything when it detects a different RPM between the wheels.

Your '98 Cherokee came with what is known as a composite rotor and it has a very well known tendency to warp very easily. The reason is that it has a two piece ultra-lightweight composite construction that can't withstand or dissipate heat well at all. To reduce or eliminate your Cherokee's rotor warping problem, replace the composite rotors with all-cast rotors which are far more heavily built which are highly effective at dissipating heat without becoming warped in the process. They are a direct replacement for your existing composite rotors.

Early '97-99 TJs have the same composite rotors that can benefit from being replaced with all-cast rotors. :)

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Do you have a machine to turn rotors??
The school that i go to does and i know how to work it so i can bring stuff from outside and work on it.

Thanks Jerry too bad the Cherokee is gone now.. lack of tranny fluid change maintenance so the tranny died.. by the end of its life you can hear random gears falling out of their spots and gurring agains other gears. LOL (not my fault and i drove it only once in a while if the actual company driver can't...)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, I drove it yesterday and keeps shaking after braking and Ideas other then brakes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts