Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I can't figure this out, but when I turn my front end like shakes kinda feels like it jumps like if it was in 4wd on pavement. It's a 2008 rubi bone stock with 57000 miles on it. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Could be worn ball joints. 57k is about the useful lifespan of ball joints on a stock jk
But start off by checking tire pressure, balance, etc. is it noticeable at all speeds, or just low speed hard turns?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's mostly speed up to 20 mph that I notice. Tire pressure is good I did notice I get like a clicking sound also from the front end soon after I changed the pads and surfaced the rotors and that stops when I apply the brakes. I'm going crazy from this damn jeep lol.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
My first guess would be ball joints. If the plastic liner on the cup wears out it provides excess play which can catch and release the ball as it rotates giving you the jumpy turns.

Your Jeep has about the right mileage for the ball joints to go.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Crawl under Jeep, grab u-joint and see if it moves. If they're good they should have no play. If you're unsure, jack up your Jeep and spin the tires forward, then backward. If you hear grinding noises, or squeaks or chirps, the u-joint is probably bad.

Not sure how relevant this is, but here's a video I found on Google:

Bad U-Joint? Here's How To Tell - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts