Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually I'm planning to remove the front fender flare extensions on my 05 LJ to fit rocker guards. I'm also not crazy about the way they look so I'm thinking of removing them before doing the rocker guards. Couple of questions before doing so for anyone who has removed them.

When I remove them it looks like I'm going to be left with 3 holes that will be visible before putting on rocker guards. It will be a few months until I get to the guards. Anyone have a picture of what the holes will look like without the guards? I'm deciding if I want to do it now or wait for the guards and do it in 1 shot.

It looks like there are 3 bolts that hold them on. I can feel the back of the front bolt but not the other 2. Assuming mine aren't too rusted, are there any tricks I should know for getting them off?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah I would do it all in one shot, the holes actually protrude outwards from the body (at least in my case they did) and it looks kind of odd. So just wait till you can get the rocker guards to cover them and then take them off. If the two that you can't get to the back to are rusted and spinning try heating the inside of the flare around the bolt with a torch or heat gun and then pull the flare and it should slip around the bolt with ease. Then use a pair of vice grips to hold the bolt head and start drilling it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that tells me what I need to know. Now I just need to figure out what rocker guards I want.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know if they actually do anything functional or are they just an extra bit of of trim with no benefit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They don't look that bad when they are off, I've had mine off for several months, and barely notice anymore. They are there to protect the paint from mud/debris, that's basically it. As mentioned, if you get a bolt that is seized and the whole assembly just spins and won't come out, you can pull on the plastic flare with enough force to pull it over the head of the bolt/washer, but then you have a bolt sticking out that you'll have to mess with. I had one of mine seized so badly that nothing I did would get it to come loose, and after holding it with vice grips, heating it, etc. the whole nutsert just came out of the body. If I put the flares back on, I'll just use one of those black plastic push pins on that one to keep it from flapping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone know if they actually do anything functional or are they just an extra bit of of trim with no benefit.
I ran no flares for about a week when I was painting them and I loved how it looked but the Jeep got so dirty since my tires stick out pretty far. I did it in the winter and after driving one day through salted roads my entire Jeep turned from yellow to white from all the salt shooting up. So even though I liked the look I couldn't handle how dirty it got without the flares not installed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
front large hole, no idea what its for but it has tape over it, from fact. rear has the same thing
I've read, (on this forum), that those holes are where the assembly line holds the tub during it's build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts