Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oooooookay! I'm currently in the process of installing a 2.5" lift. I'm doing it in the cold, in my driveway and with a limited selection of tools. I have both rear leafs installed and it went quite well, considering that I have NO automobile knowledge and I have never worked on a car of any type before my current YJ. I'm now starting the first front leaf and its not going so well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, but I'm just having trouble getting it mounted to all 3 mounting points. Does anyone have a step by step specifically for the front leafs?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'd say jack up the axle one side at a time and only work on one leaf at a time. Make sure you have them the correct direction, make sure the center pin in leaf fits into perch on axle. I think when I did mine I bolted leaf to frame first then front shackle and then lowered axle onto leaf spring. Much easier with 2 ppl. Almost impossible with 1 but I did my rear with just me and took a while.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carralo1 said:
I'd say jack up the axle one side at a time and only work on one leaf at a time. Make sure you have them the correct direction, make sure the center pin in leaf fits into perch on axle. I think when I did mine I bolted leaf to frame first then front shackle and then lowered axle onto leaf spring. Much easier with 2 ppl. Almost impossible with 1 but I did my rear with just me and took a while.
I've made sure the leaf is the correct size and it fits the axle. I've tried bolting it to the front first, then I tried bolting it to the rear first........I don't get it. Maybe I'm just getting too frustrated and not looking at it right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i had to bolt it to the shackle first, then to the axle, and finally the Frame.
I tried it shackle/frame/axle and i couldnt get the pin centered.

did it by myself with alot of swearing, a long 2x4 to adjust the axle back and forth, and of course a floor jack

·
Administrator
12,607 Posts
is the front shackle moving back and forward freely.. if not loosen the bolts so it does then mount at the rear hanger line up at the axle plate as best you can with the hardware just holding it, then attached the front.. jack the spring up from the bottom plate until it go's into the key hole.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fishnic said:
i had to bolt it to the shackle first, then to the axle, and finally the Frame.
I tried it shackle/frame/axle and i couldnt get the pin centered.

did it by myself with alot of swearing, a long 2x4 to adjust the axle back and forth, and of course a floor jack
I have the swearing part mastered!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I agree, it could take a while, patience and persistence will be a big help.

Personally, I attached the rear first. Loosely attached the axle and ubolts. Jacked up the axle and worked on getting one side in at a time. All the while adjusting the jack, prying, pulling, and readjusting the jack. Eventually I got them all in, but it took a while. It would be much easier with two people.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Oh, and dont fully tighten anything till you can set the Jeep on all fours. (well, I suppose you can tighten the ubolts on the axles first)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips, guys. It's raining now, but when it stops and my frustration relaxes, I'll give it another shot.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you should got on the local jeep club facebook and created a install party an 18 pack and you will be done

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If you got beer to hell with the rain I'm in!!!! Where are you I'm thirsty!!! No profile location????

·
Registered
704 Posts
Put jack stands under the frame on both sides and a jack under the axle. Loosen the u-bolts on both sides and the axle is free to move to line up the pin.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the continued tips! I'm getting back under there this morning. I'm in Leicester, MA. If anyone is interested in giving a MUCH needed hand, come on over! I know it's a little early for beer, but you can come back tonight for a fire by the water and some cold ones!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If it was any closer I would swing by for a beer and chat by the fire. Have a good day and let us know ho it goes.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
same here, Im way too far to be of any benefit. :D

But I will have a beer by proxy.

West coast/East coast issue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carralo1 said:
Hey man I'm up in Lowell... It's about 45 minutes
Awe man, thanks, but this is my first chance to check the forum and I'm done! However, I'm getting a vibration in 2nd gear around 3000 rpm's. any ideas?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting. Before you do anything, I would go get a alignment. Where does the vibration feel like it's coming from?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts