Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2015 jkuhr Anvil
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at all these awsome pics of jeeps and don't see any front license plates.
Here in Chicago, front and back are needed :censored:. I'm still waiting for my HR to arrive but am wondering where the front plates will go.
I'd hate to think the dealer would do something stupid to my bumper.

Anyone have pic/ideas for front license placement?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Make sure you give the dealer specific instructions to NOT mount the front plate. I've seen dealers do some stupid things which make you wonder, "what we're they thinking?".

·
Registered
470 Posts
Go to a auto store and pick up a universal plate mount. They work perfect on a jeep and not expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
my HR came with a special mounting bracket (plastic) that allowed you to put on the front plate. I haven't put mine on, but it did come with a plastic mount for the front.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I grew up in Arizona, where they only give you one plate, but now live in Colorado, where front and back are required. I just opted to leave the front off, and play dumb if there is ever an issue. I like to live dangerously.

·
Registered
2015 jkuhr Anvil
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in Chicago there is no rhyme or reason for anything so don't want to risk the "no front plates" thing..
My buddy got a pickup and was randomly getspting tickets for an open bed.
He researched the net and went to the dmv. Said there are 2 competing laws, each saying opposite what the other says.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
my HR came with a special mounting bracket (plastic) that allowed you to put on the front plate. I haven't put mine on, but it did come with a plastic mount for the front.
True, but it still has to be drilled into the plastic insert that says Rubicon. I didn't want my dealership to drill into that insert, yet they did anyway...3 times, yet the plate still wasn't lined up properly. And when I complained about it, they wouldn't replace the insert. Good thing I'm installing a winch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
True, it screws into the plastic Rubicon plate in the front. If you look close, you will see 2 small dimples where the screws go. You may also want to look at Maximus-3. They have a mounting plate that attaches to the skid plate bolts under your bumper, no drilling involved. I used it when I added my winch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
maximus-3 has a license plate bracket that installs on the bottom of the hardcore/10a/x bumper

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
I'm looking at all these awsome pics of jeeps and don't see any front license plates.
Here in Chicago, front and back are needed :censored:. I'm still waiting for my HR to arrive but am wondering where the front plates will go.
I'd hate to think the dealer would do something stupid to my bumper.

Anyone have pic/ideas for front license placement?
The front plate thing is a sore spot with me... if I were you I would tell your dealer to NOT drill the holes in the front bumper. If they insist, explain to them its a deal breaker.

Now.. once you've established the ground rules, take your nice new Jeep home and admire the view without the plate. Then run down to home depot and buy some velcro strips. Affix the strips to the plate (both sides of velcro attached to each other) and then apply the plate to the front bumper. Place the velcro so that the "wire side" is affixed to the bumper and fibrous side to the plate.

So now you can see what your new Jeep looks like with the plate.. you can choose to leave the plate on or remove it whenever you wish.

I live in a state that requires a front plate... I don't have a front plate mounted on any of my vehicles. Recently I had a cop roaming the neighborhood because people were parking their non-registered vehicles in the street. Well, not only did the parking patrol clean up the street, every time they checked the neighborhood they decided to write me a ticket for not having a front plate on my van.

I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to the front plate law.. so I held my ground.

That parking patrol wrote me four tickets before they got a clue I wasn't budging.. they finally left it alone.

Haha.. stand your ground!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yep as others have stated there are two dimples to drill into. Being here in Illinois as well and having a brand new jeep I was not wanting to drill the bumper either. I held off for a few weeks and then I just did it. No biggie...

·
Registered
2015 jkuhr Anvil
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the Maximus-3 mount.
Sounds like I'm gonna have to bug the hell out of the dealer to NOT do anything.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yep as others have stated there are two dimples to drill into. Being here in Illinois as well and having a brand new jeep I was not wanting to drill the bumper either. I held off for a few weeks and then I just did it. No biggie...
same here! had to do it...
:censored:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
When I went to pick up my plates I took one of them from the receptionist and kept it. I lived in Texas for 22 years (front plate required) and now in Utah 15 years (front plate required) and I have yet to ever install a front plate on any of my vehicles. I have been stopped for speeding, etc. and have never gotten a ticket for it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Told my sales guy not to do it till I came in to pick mine up. Was cool with that and then I helped him mount it so I made sure it was nice and straight. No big deal . I'd just as soon not give 5-0 a reason to stop me.

Bob

·
Registered
235 Posts
I told the salesman the deal is off if they try to give it to me with a front plate on it..

I dont run front plates on any of my cars, i'll take the ticket i've never gotten. Dont get me wrong.... I have gotten warnings :mooning:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts