Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering why there is no front limited slip option on non rubi's. It was interesting that a friend of mine with a newer model Nissan frontier pro 4 x mentioned that his vehicle came equipped with both front and rear LSD's. I'm aware they're not the best for off road and they will wear out but for real bad weather driving situations NOT rock crawling why not?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Good question. I'm sure there is a good answer (besides cost or something).

That reminds me.

I was just thinking about the Moab edition.

If Jeep really wanted that to kick ass, they should have put a D44 up front and had the locker option apply to the FRONT axle. (Along with opening up the colors)

Locker up front, LSD in the rear.
Mopar rails and bumpers
Good AT tires
Factory covered

That is a win....

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Probably because a LSD up front without selectable hubs puts the front axle in a bind 99.9% of the time and causes unnecessary wear in the front axle. It can also cause some pretty poor driving characteristics in very slick conditions where there isn't enough traction to slip the clutches. A Torsen would be OK, but not a clutch style and I doubt they could do a Torsen at a competitive cost.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The Jeep uses BLD. It sort of simulates a LSD and works better IMO in the front axle design of the Jeep.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Probably because a LSD up front without selectable hubs puts the front axle in a bind 99.9% of the time and causes unnecessary wear in the front axle. It can also cause some pretty poor driving characteristics in very slick conditions where there isn't enough traction to slip the clutches. A Torsen would be OK, but not a clutch style and I doubt they could do a Torsen at a competitive cost.
What are your thoughts on using a TruTrac up front?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
A TruTrac is a Torsen and will only transfer torque when under load so it will not put the front axle in a bind in 2wd.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A TruTrac is a Torsen and will only transfer torque when under load so it will not put the front axle in a bind in 2wd.

So is the true trac harder on the front axle and driving (turning etc) in 4x4 on say 6" of snow on city streets or a field?

I just put a locker in the rear and an lsd in the front- unlimited wrangler 35" tires d30 and d44 and haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Wouldn't an LSD upfront just sit there unnoticed and unused unless you engaged the 4wd? Due to the fact that there is no power being sent to the front in 2wd?

·
Registered
996 Posts
A few month back I went threw this same discussion with my gear shop on what to do to make my Jeep sport more off road capable. On my Jeep we put a Eaton True trac in the rear and a Eaton E locker in the front. This was my solution to the problem I'm sure there are others. I was advised not to put the true trac in the front although they have done it before a few times. The set up I have works awesome for the type of wheeling we do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It would probably bind up. Even though there is no power going to the front axle, the front differential is still turning and moving. Your front axle plays a different role than the rear. I would play it safe and go with a locker up front. This way its engaged at low speed and not at high speeds.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Anyone know why an LSD in the front axle would be a problem when not in 4wd?
A factory clutch type LSD up front wouldn't be the best on slick roads since it always resists the wheels turning at different speeds. Steering would become more challenging for the average driver. This would happen whether you're in 2wd or 4wd.

As was said above, a torsion style would be better for a front LSD since it only tightens up when power is applied.

Given that most people never take their Jeep off road, the lack of any traction aiding device in the front axle (outside of the Rubicon) doesn't hurt Jeep sales at all.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Plenty of guys run TrueTracs up front with no problems. That's my plan eventually.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well I have had a Front tru trac LSD up front and in back for 1500 miles and There is ZERO change in my 2005 unlimited wrangler. This past weekend I was able to take it off road and the jeep went anywhere I wanted it too. The guys I 4x4 with were very impressed with the LSD in the front and considering 95% of my driving is in the snow belt a locker would be useless over 15mph. I know I made a great choice for 30mph driving in 6" plus of snow on hwy plus slower on trails but a locker would be awesome for the slow crawl stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed. A Trutrac is unstoppable in 99.9% of the terrain you throw at it. For that other .01%, all you need to do is ride the brakes if a tire is in the air.

I have trutracs front and rear, and unless you are doing some wheel in the air rock crawling, this combo cant be beat!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I run a Aussie locker in the front of my 09 JK that said, in 2wd the locker is in the coast mode and does NOT interfer with the steering of the Jeep. I Have to be in 4wd to know it is even there.
a limited slip even in 4wd will not lock up until tire spin on that axle occurs.
Tru-trac's front and back are great in snow and mud and dry pavement, good choice for a DD:thumb:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
a limited slip even in 4wd will not lock up until tire spin on that axle occurs.
Not true actually. For a gear driven LSD like a TrueTrac, it's constantly sending power back and forth seeking to avoid wheel spin. By contrast, the JK's "brake locking differential" system requires some wheel spin before the brake clamps down.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts