Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace my front lower control arms. I recently had the stock bolts replaced with the 9/16 bolts, maybe about a year ago. I'm using a Kobalt corded impact wrench that says it can handle 350 ft lbs forward and reverse. The nut and bolt don't look rusted. The bolt spins so I know it isn't rusted to the mount. I'm not sure what else to do since I'm already using an impact wrench.

Registered
Good the bolt with a regular box wrench and hit the nut with your impact. If the impact doesn't move it, use a real 1/2" ratchet with a 2 or 3 foot pipe in it... AKA a "Make em stronger".

Milk crates are known as "Make em taller".

These are essential garage tools 馃槀

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Registered
Don't know about Kobalt, but tool makers tend to be optimistic with their ratings. When you start pulling on it by hand you'll be able to tell right away if you are twisting it... by which time it is too late... but what else can you do? You could try heat it with a heat gun I guess...

Registered
I want going to call out to tool, but 350 is awful low. 600 to 800 ft/lb is more typical of a professional impact in reverse.

Registered
And you'll still need to pull out a ratchet and pipe now and again with a 600 ft/lb.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I was doing. Box wrench and impact wrench. Smart me, I forgot I had PB Blaster. Sprayed the nuts and they came right off. Not even 30 seconds wait time. Just needed some lube. Front drivers side near the axle was annoying but luckily I had an extension for the impact wrench. Passenger side should go easier.

Ratcheting tie downs work really well to align the mounting holes if the axle moves a little

Registered
That is what I was doing. Box wrench and impact wrench. Smart me, I forgot I had PB Blaster. Sprayed the nuts and they came right off. Not even 30 seconds wait time. Just needed some lube. Front drivers side near the axle was annoying but luckily I had an extension for the impact wrench. Passenger side should go easier.

Ratcheting tie downs work really well to align the mounting holes if the axle moves a little
So does turning the steering wheel 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So does turning the steering wheel 馃槈

That's a good option too. I didn't think of that. That one is free if you don't have the tie downs...though you can't see how far you need to go. With the tie down I was able to ratchet it until the bolt slid right in

Registered
It works the best with a partner in the Jeep doing the turning while you watch and yell commands. The issue with this is that it has a limited amount of range. If you are really far off, you'll need to go back to ratchet straps... or adjust your part to make it and then adjust it in place while you use the steering wheel to take pressure off. Honestly, a ratchet strap is the most direct way to do it.... but the steering wheel method can get you there if you are willing to work it in with adjusting while working the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts