Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a 3 inch lift and factor control arms. The bushings on my front lower control arms are bad. My question is can I switch to the JKS fixed length lower control arms without changing the uppers?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on how long the JKS arms are. Call JKS.
16.25" (center-to-center) Lengthened over stock in order to properly correct caster on 2-4.5" lifts so the website says but it doesn’t mention rather I have to change anything else.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
16.25" (center-to-center) Lengthened over stock in order to properly correct caster on 2-4.5" lifts so the website says but it doesn’t mention rather I have to change anything else.
thats a rather large range, which is why adj is a better option. a fixed arm cant properly set caster for both a 2" lift and a 4.5" lift.

per your description it sounds like you are looking at the arms for ~$240 that use clevit bushings at each end and a solid tube design. those arms are a downgrade from OEM as they dont allow as much flex and transfer stress to the mounts. you'd be much better off with core 4x4 tier2 arms for ~$220 as they use a johnny joint on one end and are adjustable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was in a pinch and got Rough Country adjustable arms in the $200 neighborhood. Clevite axle end and their JJ copy in the frame end. So far so good, with 15k miles the spherical joints are ready to be tightened though. I'm taking a fix-on-fail approach where if something needs serviced on one arm, I'll replace them with Currie or Savvy.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
if you can spare a bit more cash, the savvy double adj arms are very nice. johnny joint on each end and you dont have to remove one end of the arm to adjust them. I've got ~6 years on my set and they still ride like they were fresh off the shelf

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you can spare a bit more cash, the savvy double adj arms are very nice. johnny joint on each end and you dont have to remove one end of the arm to adjust them. I've got ~6 years on my set and they still ride like they were fresh off the shelf
So you haven’t had any issues with them being made from aluminum?

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
So you haven’t had any issues with them being made from aluminum?
only 1, they are still bare and arent covered in rust.

but honestly, no, and i have added grease maybe three times. the maintenance is nonexistent.

if the part is designed/built well and the correct alloy is used there is no drawback with aluminum. in most cases its a nice weight savings, but IIRC, the aluminum arms are roughly the same weight as steel arms. they are harder to bend than steel and I have dragged them over rocks many times. thats the same for all of my skids, all aluminum and they have a few scratches, but 50% or more of the weight has been on them in the rocks and no damage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys I ordered savvy front lower control arms today. If I’m going to put adjustable arms in the rear am I better to go with upper or lower?

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
if you play in the rocks lower are better as they are beefier than OEM arms. if not then it doesnt matter.

both uppers and lowers work together to set pinion angle and wheelbase. with only one set of arms you can get pinion angle or wheelbase, but not both

1 - 14 of 14 Posts