Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at this 2014 tomorrow, and noticed this (what I believe to be) a front double hitch or something.

Anyone seen this before and can explain what it's used for? I was thinking snow plow but I really have no idea.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
WEll, it could be a snow plow mount, but it's more likely a mount for a tow bar. The Jeep was likely towed behind a motorhome at one time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WEll, it could be a snow plow mount, but it's more likely a mount for a tow bar. The Jeep was likely towed behind a motorhome at one time.
Ah I never thought of that. That does make more sense. Would that be any reason to avoid that Jeep, or is that not really a concern?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ah I never thought of that. That does make more sense. Would that be any reason to avoid that Jeep, or is that not really a concern?
I would not be overly worried. Potential problems exist if the previous owner didn't know what they were doing, and towed it wrong. Likely, you would discover odd noises and behaviors on a test drive. Miles do not accumulate when towed properly. The miles still actually happen, it's just that the drive line isn't powered during those miles, and they don't show up on the odo. Just be aware of it. Look for an electrical connector somewhere in the area of the front bumper, wiring to the area around the tail lights. Make sure the electricals all work properly, including turn signals and brake lights, emergency flashers, etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not be overly worried. Potential problems exist if the previous owner didn't know what they were doing, and towed it wrong. Likely, you would discover odd noises and behaviors on a test drive. Miles do not accumulate when towed properly. The miles still actually happen, it's just that the drive line isn't powered during those miles, and they don't show up on the odo. Just be aware of it. Look for an electrical connector somewhere in the area of the front bumper, wiring to the area around the tail lights. Make sure the electricals all work properly, including turn signals and brake lights, emergency flashers, etc.
Sounds good. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a front hitch on my 2011 Wrangler Sport for a Meyer's Home Plow, but it was in the center, not offset like the one the OP pictured.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts