Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 Sport with 4.0L and 5 spd . . . had my cat replaced and exhaust manifold rewelded yesterday and my CEL came on with downstream O2 sensor fault (love Torque and the bluetooth OBDII dongle!). I went ahead and got both O2 sensors (NTK) figuring might as well do both. The downstream went fine but the upstream? It's a bear getting the socket wrench in there. I got the O2 sensor socket on but was never able to actually get the wrench in there, nor an extension.

Am I missing something? (thinking out loud . . . ) shorter extension maybe? U-joint extension? I tried vise grips but bailed after barely getting them adjusted. Figured since I didn't get a fault on the upstream I won't worry about it until it fails.

TIA.

Grog

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I had zero issue with room on my '99. I used a standard O2 socket and 3/8 ratchet. Getting the upper plug was more troublesome than the sensor at the bung.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I left it alone for now - will try again when that sensor goes bad. Drove across the state yesterday and the CEL came on within a mile of leaving the house . . . thought "great - I must've messed up the downstream sensor installing it" and heard a flapping sound coming from under the front as I was stopping. Turned out that I had forgotten to reconnect the upstream cable after I aborted the swap . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts