Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 17 years of Jeep ownership, I finally managed to tear off my front OEM driveshaft spline boot. Original plan was to replace the exposed area with a replacement CV style boot. After considering the boot purchase and the additional expense of the CV band clamping tool, I wondered that perhaps I may forgo running a boot, as my aftermarket rear did not have a boot covering the splined section.

Upon closely inspecting my rear shaft, I noticed a dust cap installed on the female section of the shaft, so I decided to do the same and install a dust cap on the front driveshaft in lieu of the boot.

I just bought a Spicer 211121X dust cap to install on the front driveshaft. Installed along the cap's collar, is a zirk fitting for grease and spline maintenance :).

So has anyone has much success with a dust cap on the front drive shaft? Or am I wasting my time and just let it be without a boot altogether?

·
Registered
7 Posts
A rock tore mine off several years ago. I never bothered to replace it and it's been fine. I do keep to rock trails and stay away from mud. I'd imagine if you went through a lot of mud it would be more important to replace it. I just inspect it while inspecting everything else after wheeling. No problems yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts