Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New jeep owner here. I recently installed new wheels and tires (305/70r17) and noticed the front passenger tire stick out 1-2 inches more than the drivers. All wheel offsets are the same, no lift kit and no bumper on the front at the time of photos. I read that it could be a sagging spring which I had 14/56. I upgraded to 18/59 but its still sticking out further. Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Jeeps have very simple suspension. They are solid axles front and rear with control arms and track bars. The control arms locate the axles in a front / back manner and the track bar locates the axle side to side. Because of the nature of the track bar, it travels in an arc, as the suspension goes up and down there is a little side to side movement while traveling up and down. Thus the height the Jeep is at also plays a part in where the axle is side to side. As I recall, the front track bar attaches to the chassis on the left (drivers) side and the rear track bar attaches to the chassis on the right (passenger) side. This means that the two axles picot on opposite sides, so as the Jeep is raised the front axle moves to the left and the rear axle moves to the right. As delivered, the axles are where they are. How high or low the springs cause it to sit determines where the axles are side to side. Any changes in ride height, like installing taller springs, will change how the axles sit side to side. To be able to shift the axles to one side or the other requires either raising or lowering the Jeep or installing an adjustable track bar. An adjustable track bar will allow you to center the axle side to side. It is not required, nothing bad will happen because the axle is not perfectly centered. But if it bothers you I suggest adjustable track bar(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Guzzimoto! Those picture were before the spring swap. You think just the extra height from the tires push everything that way?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree. If it really bothers you, it's an easy fix. Just install an adjustable track bar. It will allow you to perfectly center the axle.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Thanks Guzzimoto! Those picture were before the spring swap. You think just the extra height from the tires push everything that way?
Any change in suspension height on a solid axle with a track bar will change the axles position side to side. That is because the axle is located side to side by the track bar, and the track bar travels in an arc. The tires themselves don't have any effect on this, but the springs do. It is about the distance between the frame and the axle. If that distance increases or decreases the axle will move a little one way or the other, based on the arc of the track bar. If you have an adjustable track bar it allows you to change the length of the track bar, and thus the position of the axle side to side at ride height. The axle will still move side to side as the suspension compresses and extends, but it allows you to center the axle at ride height.

·
Registered
709 Posts
To be clear, raising the jeep with TIRES will not change the tracking as you are not changing the distance between the body/frame and the axle. Only changes with suspension/steering will do that. The only thing biggers tires may do is make it more noticeable.

As you raise the body/frame in relation to the axle, the track bar will pull the passenger's side of the axle toward the driver's side. Inversely as you lower the body in relation to the axle, your track bar pushes the passenger's side away.

Having an adjustable track bar allows you to set the axle midline in relation to the body/frame while at rest. As you bounce down the trail the design will move the axle left and right, nothing you can do to change that. Just the resting position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts