Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for an oil change and general checkup today and they said the front pinion seal was leaking. They gave me a quote of over $200 to fix it. I didn't have the money to spare just then so I didn't have them do it.

I looked to see if its something I might be able to do myself but it looks like it involves removing the drive shaft and if I can't get it back on I'm screwed because its my DD so I'm not brave enough for that.

I can see the leak, its more like a seep it doesn't drip on the driveway. Is this something that needs to be fixed right away? I'm not going to be fording any streams in the near future. Is there anything serious this leak can lead too if not taken care of right away?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You can leave it. But honestly it is really easy. The only time consuming part (I wont say difficult) is trying to pry the old seal out. Taking the drive shaft off is probably the easiest part, and if you can't get it in just unbolt the other side and drive without a front shaft. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get it back on though unless you lost needle bearings. You can change the seal for ~$40 IIRC.

Just get a pinion seal from NAPA and a pinion nut from the dealer. I did mine in 45 minutes. There's probably a write up floating around somewhere on how to do it. Make sure you have a good torque wrench to torque the nut to 150 ft/lbs and preferably air tools to zip the old nut off. I also bought a cheapo seal puller from Harbor Freight Tools, it did it's job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts