Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving in California without a front plate on my vehicles for years without issue until now. Last week I parked at the train station like I've done everyday for years and came home to a ticket for not having a front plate. The officer literally drove up and down the parking lot at the station looking for anything and everything to ticket on literally hundreds of cars. Probably not the best use of public funding, but whatever, he was doing his job and I cant be too pissed about it.

Anyhow, its a simple fix it ticket, but the thing is I dont recall getting a mount from the dealer when I bought it. Was my JKUS supposed to come with a mount? If so does it mount to the bumper without drilling holes? If not, does anyone know where to purchase such a mount? I've looked but most basic mounts require drilling, which I'd rather not do. Would appreciate any pointers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have a stock bumper, you just use self tapping screws to attach a plate to the front bumper. There might even be the smallest of indents (mine had those) where the screws should go. Worthwhile using stainless screws.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I would however, rather not put holes in the bumper if there is a way around it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm ordering one of these today. It's reportedly a "no-drill" mount. You'd have to check your particular state laws regarding the placement of your front registration plate. Anyway, I hope it's okay to post these screen shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the 75th Anniversary, which has a bumper similar to the Hard Rock. It has a plastic panel in the middle, which you could remove the panel to install a winch there.

My plan, which I haven't gotten around to yet, is to epoxy a strip of metal to the backside of the plastic panel, where it won't be seen. Then, I'll install the license plate in the plate holder that came with the Jeep, and epoxy some screws to the back of the plate holder.

If I get magnets that are strong enough, it should hold well, and since my plate will be screwed into the plate holder, it'll all look normal.

If you don't have the plate holder or you don't want to buy one, you could still put some nuts and bolts on the license plate so it'll appear as if it's screwed on. Maybe even get a plate frame if you like.

You'd have to see if you can access the backside of the plastic on the Sport bumper.

To get my inspection sticker, I just used Velcro. I took it off, but it did seem that good quality Velcro should work, as long as you clean the surfaces carefully first.

Also....I hate revenue-generating tickets like that! I'd suggest that you appeal the ticket, saying that you just had the bumper replaced or repaired and your mechanic didn't have the right screws or you forgot to give him the plate before the repair or something like that. And submit a date-stamped photo of the Jeep with the plate on it, to show that you fixed the "problem." If you're not ready to screw into the bumper, nuts/bolts on the plate and some tape or Velcro will work for the photo.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know it's not a no drill solution, but after installing the Tactik bumper this weekend I used the bolts that hold the plastic piece and drilled the license plate. Felt better doing that then the bumper. I think it came out alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Velcro that crap, take care of the ticket, then remove it and hope to go another few years.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate the suggestions! I think the one Izzy posted from ebay should work. I need to get it signed off asap so in the meantime I'll just slap it on with some double sided tape or velcro per Andejo's suggestion to get signed off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts