Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the front Ring and Pinion properly break in if there is no load applied to it. I have my new front gears in but the front drive shaft is out until the rear is done (New gears are 4:88) this week. If your asking why did I do them separately is because I got a new PR-44 for the front that came already assembled. It was installed over the weekend. Right now the front gears are just coasting along so I don't see how they can get broken in even if the front drive shaft was in without any load but can't put a load on it unless the front is engaged. Am I over thinking this? Is the front not as critical as the rear?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to add that the gears are Yukon 4:88 on Eaton E-Lockers. I have a 170 mile trip to take Sunday so was planning on doing some short runs for about a 100 miles before I hit the interstate. Then drive for about 20 minutes or so at 60ish, stop for 15 minutes or so and do it again until I get there and just stretch out the time between stops on the way back the next day to about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Although the front gears are not under the load of the powertrain they are still turning and hence breaking-in. The constant meshing of the gears builds a common wear pattern and go the heat cycling just more gradually. I would roll on the gears for 1K miles before going off road and then go easy on them off road for a trip or two. I wouldn't crawl any walls or stomp of the gas with the wheels turned. They are your gears and you know how much it cost to replace them.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although the front gears are not under the load of the powertrain they are still turning and hence breaking-in. The constant meshing of the gears builds a common wear pattern and go the heat cycling just more gradually. I would roll on the gears for 1K miles before going off road and then go easy on them off road for a trip or two. I wouldn't crawl any walls or stomp of the gas with the wheels turned. They are your gears and you know how much it cost to replace them.
Thanks for that insight. Every time I put my hand on the pumpkin it just feels warm not hot so I think that is good. Have not gone over 45 miles without stopping for at least an hour. I will be more gingerly with it when the rear is done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts