Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door front right tire is making a weird noise. It sounds like a Whiring noise but only happens when I go over 15 mph.

Sometimes it sounds worse then normal and other times its not even there. As I accelerate it gets louder and it doesn't go away if I apply pressure to the brakes. But once I hit 15 mph or less it goes away.

When it is worse than normal I can kind of feel it vibrating in the steering wheel.

Could it be a wheel bearing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
It does sound like a bad unit bearing. Easy way to check is jack that tire up and pry up on the bottom of the tire. There should be no wiggle at all. If it's bad enough you can just take the tire and wiggle it up and down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does sound like a bad unit bearing. Easy way to check is jack that tire up and pry up on the bottom of the tire. There should be no wiggle at all. If it's bad enough you can just take the tire and wiggle it up and down.
Awesome Ill try that!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Usually a bad wheel bearing noise will change, or go away when turning (applying pressure to the bearing). I had a whir coming from my front end that did not change when turning, and had all the same symptoms you described. Ended up being a bad pinion bearing. I don't remember mine resonating thought the steering though, so hopefully yours is a wheel bearing...much easier to fix.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Had a whir noise coming from my left rear wheel around the same speed you mentioned. Thought it was a bearing but it ended up being I needing new brake pads. Just something to add to your "to check list".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts