Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new rotors and calipers and was going to replace my front brake system fully today and my friend was there as an extra hand. I told him what I had and he was calling me stupid for not knowing the bearing needs grease which I watched a video and everything and didn't see anything about that. Can someone please confirm this is necessary

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Do you have a 2 wheel drive?

If not you have no bearings to grease, unless you want to dissasemble your front axle and re pack it.

(trust me, you dont want to) :)

You get the rotors off and replaced?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Here is what you have for wheel bearings they are a hub assy. Takes about an hour a side. You can check your and see if they are loose if so replace if not and no noise leave them alone and do the brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Now he needs to bring the beer to the job.

You can drink it while he works. :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ryanmalzac1 said:
How do you check if the hub is bad?
It makes noise, has vibrations, or is loose. Although i have not seen on get loose enough to feel.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
In the old days you had drum brakes up front and the brake drum also housed the front wheel bearings so it was standard work to regrease the bearing if you took the brake drum off. Usually needed a new seal at a minimum.

If you want to see if the hub is loose with the wheel and tire attached and on a jack stand you can use a crowbar to to stree the whel and tire looking for play in the hub and movement in the ball joints.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It makes noise, has vibrations, or is loose. Although i have not seen on get loose enough to feel.
yeah these hub assemblies have to go through what I like to call... an "act of god" fail for it to actually feel loose, usually there will be a bearing squeak.

I replaced mine when I first got the jeep because it sounded iffy to me, and the old one came out in 3 pieces... no weird movements on the wheel at all

one word of advice... if you are going to take the time to do a wheel bearing, do the u-joint as well.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Couple bucks more Timken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts