Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have read the advice several times to wheel your Jeep stock and use that experience to inform your upgrade path. I had a blast last weekend with my stock 2017 Willy's at Redbird in southern Indiana and while it was no suprise that I could have used a few inches of additional clearance, I took note of where I scraped the couple of times that I did. The center skid scraped over a few crests, which was no suprise and no big deal considering that it was soft dirt and I was going very slowly and cautiously, but I also dragged the front air dam a couple of times and I think I may have loosened it up a bit as it rattled when I checked it over.

I don't want to just tear it off based on reports of aerodynamic and other drawbacks of doing so, so I am looking for a skid plate that also has some air dam effect.

There is a baricaid one that looks good in terms of shape and size, but it is stainless instead of black and there is an inconsistency between the website and the YouTube video as to whether it works on stock bumpers. There is a rugged ridge one that doesn't look big enough to serve as an air dam and then there is rough country, which looks to be the one I need but I don't love that it's logo is so prominent across the front.

What are you guys running and which ones have I missed? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
AEV makes a steel front skid/air dam for their bumpers that is basically the same size/shape as the OEM plastic one. There is also a MOPAR steel skid plate available for the 10A/Hardrock bumpers.

I do not know if either will work with the stock plastic bumper.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What is more important to you?

Gas mileage, "aerodynamics and other drawbacks"

or

skid plate armor for off-roading

Because these two things don't really go together. The reason Jeep put the plastic air dam there is to improve aerodynamics, aesthetics and gas mileage.

People choose to replace it with a steel/aluminium skid plate but they're trading significant weight which will add negatively to your gas mileage.

So it's a trade off. The same reason not to rip it off is the same reason not to get a skid plate.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is more important to you?

Gas mileage, "aerodynamics and other drawbacks"

or

skid plate armor for off-roading

Because these two things don't really go together. The reason Jeep put the plastic air dam there is to improve aerodynamics, aesthetics and gas mileage.

People choose to replace it with a steel/aluminium skid plate but they're trading significant weight which will add negatively to your gas mileage.

So it's a trade off. The same reason not to rip it off is the same reason not to get a skid plate.
Fair question. Gas mileage isn't the main concern. By aerodynamic effects I was referring to gas mileage perhaps indirectly, but also reports of increased hood flutter, exposure of the engine bay, and things like that. My assumption was that if I went with one of the skids that covers roughly the same area as the air dam (as apposed to the stubbier ones like the rugged ridge), than this would be studier than the air dam for hits and scrapes offroad, but still knock down some air in a manner similar to air dam.

I don't need this jeep to be a Prius on the highway, I have another car for that, but I was hoping to find a compromise with a part that was both sturdy and would provide at least a little more aero than no part at all.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a JCR front bumper with the additonal skid plate that attaches to the crash bar below, some please cut the crash bar off. Not a option on rubicon, the crash bar protects the disconnect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts