Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alrighty, I want to replace my speakers. I have already decided to go with Boston Acoustic 5 1/4 Speakers for the roll bar.

But....the front dash speakers confuse me a little bit. The crutchfield website indicates that an 04' Wrangler Sport uses 4 X 6; which is great! But a lot of the speakers on the crutchfield website have holes that do not line up. What have some of you done?

Could any of you suggest a nice set of front speakers? Thanks.

A1C Zotto Vincent C

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
While the TJ's front speakers technically qualify as 4x6, they are not a standard 4x6 size which means no aftermarket 4x6 will mount without extensively modifying the TJ's front speaker mounts as well as drilling a new hole or two into a standard size 4x6 speaker frame. That means substantial cutting, hacking, and drilling.

You're far better off, both difficulty-wise and sound quality wise, converting to 5.25" round coaxial speakers using one of the adapter plates available all over the Internet or places like Crutchfield. :)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
You could do what I did infinity kappa plate speakers in the front and 6.5's in the rear.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
if you order the front speakers from crutchfield they will give you the adapters. i have the same fronts as sahara, and i installed some components in the sound bar.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Your rears are basically the same just seperate tweeters and a better cross over. But i was surprissed when I got mine that the cross over was external.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
the crossovers that i have are much higher quality than yours, i do admit that they sound good but there is better separation between tweeter and woofer than yours. one thing that you do have is the same cone material as i do, mine are kappa perfects form 4 years ago the newer model is an aluminum cone that has a lot more distortion at high volume.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
ya i know yours have better crossovers but i was surprised that mine had external cross overs and they looked alot batter than the small ones on the back of most speakers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So from a previous post, I can fit 6.5 in the roll bar? Will the cover still be able to go back on?

Also, if I were to put 5 1/4 in the front, do they have mounting plates that will match for that....or is that something I'll have to fabricate myself?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
ya i know yours have better crossovers but i was surprised that mine had external cross overs and they looked alot batter than the small ones on the back of most speakers.

they are great speakers and running them off of that head unit with the 7 band EQ, i got the same head unit and i love it.:punk:

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
So from a previous post, I can fit 6.5 in the roll bar? Will the cover still be able to go back on?
The new speakers will come with new cover that will most likely look better than the stock one however they should fit. I had 2 covers that were from my 6.5" speakers and they were the same size as the stock sound bar speaker covers.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Vinny, if you buy your speakers from Crutchfield they'll send you mounting plates for free that will adapt your new speakers to fit in the factory opening fo 4x6's. No need to make your own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts