Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Sport JK (2dr) with a Teraflex bb (2" front/1" rear). I'm running 33-34" BFG KO2s, and have been pretty happy with the setup on and off road. I use my Jeep to travel and a daily driver, off-road on medium trails a few times per year. I'm running original springs/shocks for the Sport.

Last week I installed the full width QT QRC front bumper. This is a NICE bumper, but it is really heavy. My ride is now really bad - diving while braking, and it tends to wander on bumpy roads. It's not to the point where it is dangerous or I can't live with it, but I really want my ride back - and keep the bumper. I have not yet added a winch, but of course that will only make it worse. I have not been off-road since the bumper install, but I'm now worried about bottoming out the suspension and causing damage or a dangerous situation.

My question is whether to upgrade shocks, upgrade springs, or what? I am on a budget, and can I get by with just upgrading the front? As mentioned, I already have the TF 2/1" budget boost installed. I really don't want to go the full lift kit route - I was happy with the BB.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
get the part number off your front spring. Sports tend to have the smallest of the stock springs. Putting a larger stock spring under there would be you least expensive option.

·
Super Moderator
7,021 Posts
How much height did you loose up front to the bumper? Meaning, how much did it sag when you installed the new front bumper.
You may be able to find a set of longer stock springs, as Terry mentioned. But first you need to determine which stock springs you have now. But even then, you may find that it isn't the same as it was stock. While the springs are longer, they still may not be able to handle the increase in weight without a difference. Plus the shocks are weak stock.
Another option that is fairly easy and inexpensive is the Rancho 2" progressive spring kit. That kit is basically a leveling lift with progressive springs and better shocks, and it would have less issue with adding weight up front as the springs are progressive and firmer than stock..

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
The TeraFlex BB is a great option when wanting some height for bigger tires but still running stock bumpers. I suggest this to all new Jeepers. It retains the factory ride while giving the extra height.
However, as soon as you add bumpers winch and armor it is time to step up to a quality coil spring that can carry that extra weight properly. I personally am not a fan of the 4door springs on the 2door but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have it figured out - for now anyway. I'm an idiot, and didn't check my tire pressure.... It has gotten cold, and my 30psi I normally run was at 25psi all around. It drives much better now!

I do need to upgrade springs, and I already have a 2"/1" TF level kit/pucks. My plan is to install a decent 2" or 2 1/2" lift with springs and shocks in the near future. I don't really have any sag in the front - yet anyway - with the stock springs, but I'm sure they aren't heavy enough.

Thank you for all the replies - for some reason I wasn't getting notifications of the replies, so sorry for the delay, and thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts