Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: I have a 3.5" bds lift on my 01 wrangler. Noticed yesterday that my sway bar link has completely broke apart. Was wondering if I will have to replace both or tune or play with them at all, or can I just replace the one and be done. Also would this be covered under warranty? Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can replace one and be done but you just need to remember to disconnect the next time you go out on the trail(I'm assuming this happened on the trails). You can also look into a Currie Anti-rock Swaybar. It's expensive but you don't have to disconnect when you go on the trail but you get the same flex as if you did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can replace one and be done but you just need to remember to disconnect the next time you go out on the trail(I'm assuming this happened on the trails). You can also look into a Currie Anti-rock Swaybar. It's expensive but you don't have to disconnect when you go on the trail but you get the same flex as if you did.
Just wondering why I would have to disconnect them if they are made for the lift. Sorry if it's a dumb question, still new to the whole lift kit stuff

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
Just wondering why I would have to disconnect them if they are made for the lift. Sorry if it's a dumb question, still new to the whole lift kit stuff
Disconnecting your anti sway bar while off road will allow your front end more unrestricted movement. The downside is it makes the entire vehicle less stable and can get past useable flex. That's why so many have opted to go with an antirock, which is night and day difference in stability while wheeling and barely noticeable on the street

·
Registered
831 Posts
Your antiswaybar is just a bar that, by attaching to your axle and staying stiff, keeps you from rolling off pavement in turns at speed. When you are going over irregular off road terrain your axles roll, or articulate, on an X axis more than on the street. This puts stress on the antiswaybar turning it into a sort of spring. With enough articulation something is going to have to give, like your disconnects.

When you disconnect the antiswaybar your axle becomes free to articulate downward to the limits of your shocks, brake lines, or control arms, for example. Sometimes bumpstops and limiting straps are required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts