Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a lot of reading on this forum and am learning a lot. Just bought and am building my first jeep 97 TJ. Am hearing that if I take the sway bar off it will ride and preform better?

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't want to take it off. Buy a good set of front swaybar disconnects or make your own from your stock pair. Unhooking your front swaybar off road will allow your front axle to move and flex. If you do that and air your tires down you will get a much better ride off road.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,714 Posts
Removing the antiswaybars only help with older leaf spring Jeeps. With '97 and newer Wranglers which have an all coil spring suspension, you don't want to remove the antiswaybars. Leaf springs provide lateral stability that coil springs do not which is how leaf spring suspensions can get away without antiswaybars.

It's ok to temporarily disconnect the front antiswaybar for offroading which does provide more flex/articulation. Even better is to replace the front OE antiswaybar with a Currie Antirock antiswaybar which provides better offroad performance than simply disconnecting the front antiswaybar does.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have had my front swaybar off for a little while due to a busted part. It is unsafe, and unstable. I do not recommend it. I will say this though. It is fun to scare the tar out of my friends with it. LOL.
Me: "I would rather not take the interstate to Bozeman, my front swaybar isn't attached."
Friend: "What does a swaybar do?"
Me: "What does a swaybar do?" *HARD LEFT*
*Passenger shits*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys where I off road it just rocky n rough, I sold my yahama rhino to start jeeping! It was a lot smoother ride but I'm not thru with ole Jasper yet!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
i have had my front swaybar off for a little while due to a busted part. It is unsafe, and unstable. I do not recommend it. I will say this though. It is fun to scare the tar out of my friends with it. Lol.
Me: "i would rather not take the interstate to bozeman, my front swaybar isn't attached."
friend: "what does a swaybar do?"
me: "what does a swaybar do?" *hard left*
*passenger shits*
hahahaha...classic!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i currently dont have mine attached either, broken link and lack of funds to buy new ones. not very fun to drive on a daily basis without them. wheeling without them though helps tons with flexing the front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just disconnected my front links this weekend. Took it out for a spin to see how it would handle and I couldn't tell much of a difference. I went wheeling with a group last night and my jeep handled much better than with them on. So today I bought 4 trailer hitches that came with cotter pins and made my own for all for links. Cost about $15.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
texasjeeper1 said:
I just disconnected my front links this weekend. Took it out for a spin to see how it would handle and I couldn't tell much of a difference. I went wheeling with a group last night and my jeep handled much better than with them on. So today I bought 4 trailer hitches that came with cotter pins and made my own for all for links. Cost about $15.
Please explain about making the quick disconnects (trailer hitches with cotter pins) maybe send pics!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for link, that's a very simple mod, what do u do with the bar while disconnected? Let hang? Wire it up?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I know with a style like mine that they can fold back, and they sit securely on the top of the upper coil bucket. I am not sure if a stock swaybar link can do it. But yes, I used to do it with zip ties and caribiners. Just make sure to use the biggest zip ties you can find, and use several in one spot. A big jolt can break them. And I have seen swaybar links go through tires like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts