Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- '08 Wrangler JKU. 4" Quadratec lift 33" BFG MT's on stock 17" rims. -

Not surprisingly, my tires rub at full lock. They rub on the sway bar, trac bar, and brake line mount on the frame.

I know that I can either get an aftermarket wheel with different backspacing or I can just go with spacers.
Which do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I personally run spacers because I like the stock wheels on my '18 JKU. If you go the spacer route definitely pick up a solid pair ( SpiderTrax is what I use with my 305/70's ) that is hubcentric and not sandwich style. They are a good alternative and a slightly cheaper route to clear the wide tires. So long as you install and torque them properly and do the proper maintenance check they should be good. I wheel mine on moderate-difficult trails and crawl now and then with them and haven't had any issues.

However if you have the cash for the new wheels that's still the better way to go in my opinion.

ither way I would try and get one of your choices soon to prevent any damage or harm to you and your Jeep

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers on stock wheels with 315's and no issues. But if you see yourself eventually getting new wheels then is kind of waste of money to invest in spacers now.

Have you tried to adjust the limit screws? Not sure it'll help much but worth a try.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tires-rub-66906.html

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
If you like the current wheels, just add spacers. If you want new wheels, pick ones that have the required amount of back space already so they do not need spacers.
If you add spacers now and upgrade to new wheels with the required back spacing later you can always sell the spacers. As long as you bought quality spacers you should have no trouble selling them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I bought a set of spacers off Craigslist after a day on the trails. 1.5" with the 17" OEM alloys which I like because they're always on Craigslist for dirt cheap. If I were starting from scratch, I'd buy 15" steelies with the proper backspacing and 35's. But I'm not and paying $15 a wheel on CL means that if I destroy one on the trail, I'll get almost that much in scrap metal value and just buy more on CL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you really like your stock rims Quadratec makes a line of rims that match some stock Jeep rims but have more backspacing. They are very reasonable price wise.

·
Super Moderator
15,033 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went to 1" spacers myself when I went to 35s on a 2" lift. I liked the tires and rims and didn't want to spend more money.

Time will tell if spacers were a good idea but I do wheel it and no issues to date.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,516 Posts
- '08 Wrangler JKU. 4" Quadratec lift 33" BFG MT's on stock 17" rims. -

Not surprisingly, my tires rub at full lock. They rub on the sway bar, trac bar, and brake line mount on the frame.

I know that I can either get an aftermarket wheel with different backspacing or I can just go with spacers.
Which do you guys prefer?

Hey there,

Either of those options will work depending on your budget.

The wheel spacers that I recommend are the Spidertrax: https://www.quadratec.com/products/92807_0051.htm

If you would like to change out your wheels you can do that as well and I would recommend going with a wheel that has backspacing at least 4.75 or numerically smaller.

I went with new wheels on my Jeep because I went with larger tire and wanted a new look.

We do offer a forum discount for forum members to receive a quote for the spacers or new wheels just PM me and I would be happy to get you a quote!

Thank you,
Hailey

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm guessing that being an 08' those oem rims are looking tired.

I'd find some quality rims.

Jack, finding 15" steel rims that will work is no easy task. I found aluminum 15". It's limiting what styles you can get. If I did it again, I'd go to 16".

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
I would do properly backspace wheels rather than spacers.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,948 Posts
Looking a this differently...

If you truly have a 4" lift, you probably need geometry brackets or control arms to re-center your axle. That should make a difference in where your tire can potentially make contact with the front end. It should also reduce stress on your front driveshaft.

A picture of your rig from the side would be helpful to determine if that is a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts