Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying too locate a noise for a few months now after doing a 4" lift. I have got it narrowed down to the axle side of the front adjustable trackbar. When starting out going forwards or in reverse there is an awful creaking noise. It goes away after a couple of miles an hour. I believe it just occurs when there is initial motion put on the trackbar or when turning at low speeds. Jumping up and down on the front bumper also produces the creaking. It could be occuring at higher speeds while turning but hard to hear due to other wind noises and such. I torqued it down to 55ft lbs this evening and the creaking got a bit more noticeable.

So after talking to my buddy the only thing we can figure is during the install we torqued the axle side of the trackbar down to much and cracked the plastic bushing sleeve (he recalls a crack noise now, when he installed). I do not want to remove the trackbar since it is a pia to re-install.

So my question is can I cure this noise without replacing this plastic bushing? I've sprayed silicon spray everywhere with noise continuing. Also, if this bushing is cracked is this a time bomb waiting to go off leading to the trackbar breaking off at this end some time in the future? TIA!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Well, I'd say you're going to have to replace that bushing. You're track bar probably won't break off, but TJs aren't to pleasant without them. Did you use the same track bar/bushing when you did your lift? You could try loosening it a bit as well.

Also, check that your sway bar links are tight as well. One of mine came loose and made a lot of noise.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a Skyjacker adjustable trackbar. Will check the sway bar end links for tightness. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I do believe the frame end bolt needs to be torqued to at least 85-90 ftlbs according to Skyjacker. If it's the type of trackbar that incorporates using a bracket be very careful and keep an eye on the bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Change the bushings. If it's been on there a while they need changing anyway. Also did you relocate the track bar or is it in its factory mount? They need to be torqued heavy and there is NOTHING in it that should crack. The end should have a metal sleeve and a rubber or poly bushing or it could be a heim joint which is all metal. Nothing plastic. You should be able to look under the front end while someone is turning the wheel back and forth (I have the engine on to do this so take precautions) and look for any movement in tie rods, the track bar (both ends) and even the ball joints. Any weakness will show quickly. The track bar should not budge on either end when you do this. The tie rod ends should not have excessive movement either.
It should not be hard to install the track bar and if you have trouble lining it up to replace the bolt, just have someone turn the steering wheel just a bit. It should line up easy that way. Also if it is adjustable, measure it when you take it off to make sure you put it back exactly that length when you put it back on. Take a pic and post it so we can see exactly what your working with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info all!

Texat T, it is an adjustable Skyjacker trackbar with a relocation bracket on the axle end. I have the axle end torqued at 55ft lbs and the frame end at 95ft lbs (not exactly sure here. I'll try to get a picture here shortly.

Here is a link to the instructions. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/front-trackbar-creaking-help-73876.html#post953781 Look in photo 1. If you see the black piece behind the torx bolt, that is the part that I am calling plastic and it surrounds the metal bushing. It felt like plastic when we installed it but I could be wrong.

Edit: here is a pic of the "plastic" bushing https://www.quadratec.com/products/16005_988.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts