Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 04 rubi and the jeep starts to sway at like 45-60mph...not like the death wobble but like a gentle sway. i tried letting go of the steering wheel because i thought it was alignment but the wheel turns too. i asked this question previously and i got a few answers but i looked under the front and i saw there was already a steering stabilizer. i grabbed the trackbar and i was able to move it a little...are they supposed to have a little give? well i have pictures ot the underside maybe you see something amiss? thanks!!

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
The trackbar should definately not move. My new JKS adjustable trackbar came loose after my first wheeling trip and I had to retighten it. (I also replaced the axle end bolt.) The track bar is what prevents your axle from shiftng side to side. Get someone to sit in the Jeep while it's running and turn the wheel back and forth. You lay on the ground in front of the Jeep and watch the axle where the trackbar hooks up. If it moves back and forth right there you have a problem. Start by tightening things up. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its loose enough that it will only wiggle a tiny bit at the bolt...also the swaybar links wiggle at the bolt

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Its loose enough that it will only wiggle a tiny bit at the bolt...also the swaybar links wiggle at the bolt
The trackbar shouldn't be able to move even a tiny bit at the mounting bolt. It is normal for the antiswaybar links to be able to rotate around their bushings which is so they don't break when the axle moves up/down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine does this as well even at slower speeds.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yup 4" Skyjacker

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The steering wheel also moves when you let go of it?

Sounds like you are looking at the wrong end.
If the rear trackbar is loose (not the swaybar, the trackbar AKA Panhard, cross locator etc, or the brackets are loose (axle end - left side - the welds break) it'll wander like described.

Sitting still the welds usually look OK on the axle bracket, put a jack under that side and you'll see it move.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The steering wheel also moves when you let go of it?

Sounds like you are looking at the wrong end.
If the rear trackbar is loose (not the swaybar, the trackbar AKA Panhard, cross locator etc, or the brackets are loose (axle end - left side - the welds break) it'll wander like described.

Sitting still the welds usually look OK on the axle bracket, put a jack under that side and you'll see it move.

Never thought about the rear trac bar. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im hopeing its only the front because it was a little play when the wheel turned...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure...I just got it on newyears and it was prelifted...what's a pitman arm?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Checked everything today and everything was tight but my steering stabilizer was wore out completely. Replaced it and the sway is about 75% gone. Ive still got the stock Track Bar so I am going to go ahead and order an adjustable one and then get an alignment. Hopefully this will fix the rest of the sway.

Luke

·
Registered
4 Posts
A1,my jeep has same or similiar handling problem,and ive been researching my problem.first thing i noticed in the photo is you have a drop pitman and no trackbar drop bracket,same as mine.everyone tells me this is bad,as the trackbar must be in line with the draglink.i have not installed a stock pitman arm yet to see if this resolves the problem.this is my first jeep which i bought stock and put 4" lift on myself with new adj trackbars,have no play in anything,yet wandery handling.keep us updated if you find the cure,as i will let you know when i swap in astock pitman and get another front end alighnment.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Yes indeed, a dropped Pitman arm without a corresponding amount of drop on the driver's side upper trackbar mount causes bump steer. Without a dropped upper trackbar mount, a dropped Pitman arm should not be installed or bump steer will result.

The first photo below shows a stock Pitman arm. The second shows my old dropped Pitman arm and you can see the matching dropped RE upper trackbar mount on the right-hand edge of the photo. I later got rid of both and went back to a non-dropped Pitman arm and non-dropped Currie track bar.

Anyone, I used to have a photo that showed three different Pitman arms that made it easy to tell what you have, dropped or stock. My computer crashed last week and I lost that particular photo. Does anyone have that and can post it in this thread so I can get a copy back onto my disk? Mucho Gracias!

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so this problem may be caused by the drop pitman arm and no trackbar drop bracket?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
so this problem may be caused by the drop pitman arm and no trackbar drop bracket?
Absolutely. There are very few circumstances when a dropped Pitman arm should be installed onto a TJ and 99% of those are when there is also a dropped upper trackbar mount.

It was with other older design Jeeps like CJs and Wrangler YJs when most of them need dropped Pitman arms after nearly any suspension lift is installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh...man there are so many things...ill have to drop the trac bar...and the steering stablizer...how do i tell if its done...take it off and press it in?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
instead of the drop bracket could i just get an adjustable trac bar? or would i still nees the tracbar drop bracket?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts