Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about a month ago i was cruising on a gravel road and accidently hit a hidden stump going about 10-15 mph. hitting the stump caused my steering wheel to be turned about 90 degrees to the left. i didnt have the tools on me to straighten it out so i was forced to drive it the 2 mile distance to my house. once i got home i crawled under to make sure nothing was bent, everything look normal to me, besides the steering wheel. so i straightened that out myself with no problem. Over the next few days i notice my jeep tends to jerk when i turn and has WAY more bump steer than usual. It also rides less smooth on the road (if that makes sense). So I take it to my local jeep dealer for an alignment. No surprise i need an alignment. They do it and tell me that nothings bent out of place under there and i'm on my way, fast forward to about a week later and my jeep starts jerking and bump steering again. i take it to my local NTB, they say its out of alignment and that nothing is bent out of place. so now today my jeep is driving eratically. I already know it needs another alignment. What the hell's going on?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
WWII demo on youtube shows big stump

On youtube , there is a WWII Jeep demo movie , showing the Jeep hitting a big stump on a downhill slope , and the stump failed to stop the jeep , which went right over it and pushed it about . That was how an original Jeep would have handled that stump . What year and type is your Jeep ?:bop:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Odds are good that hitting a stump at 10mph did some damage. Tie rod is most likely the part that was damaged since you are experiencing bump steer.. control arm bushings, ball joint, etc. should be checked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Odds are good that hitting a stump at 10mph did some damage. Tie rod is most likely the part that was damaged since you are experiencing bump steer.. control arm bushings, ball joint, etc. should be checked out.
That's what i was thinking but both the Jeep dealer and the NTB said their equipment used to do the alignment would also be able to tell if a tie rod or something was bent. Is there some other way to check?

·
Registered
810 Posts
That's what i was thinking but both the Jeep dealer and the NTB said their equipment used to do the alignment would also be able to tell if a tie rod or something was bent. Is there some other way to check?
Something has to be bent or moving improperly for bump steer.. any good Jeep.4X4 custom shops in your area? You need someone who is experienced in suspension/steering to go over it. When it's setting still on a rack, it is possible that it's within tolerances, but under load that is evidently changing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts