Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on the forum so here we go. A friend of mine has a 2008 JK and had 2 episodes of front wheel shake. I don't think it was full blown death wobble but enough to pucker his hole. He took it to the dealer and they replaced the steering stabilizers with heavier duty parts but told him the best solution is to use an after market solution, although it would negate his warranty. It's worked so far as he hasn't had any problems since.

I also own a stock 2008 JK and haven't had the problem but think I should address it before it happens because my wife and daughters drive it as well. I also might do a lift at some point in the future so my question is: does anyone have a recommendation on what I should do to beef up the steering stabilizer now but that I'll also be able to keep should I do the lift later?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stock steering stabilizers are crap,especially if you have bigger tires. Any aftermarket part for the jeep is better than factory. Also upgrading the tie rod to a beefier one helps along with a stronger steering box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... you're right. My buddy only has 22,000 miles on it with stock tires and it's already giving him problems.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Going to a bigger stabilizer is NOT a solution- it is a Band Aid fix. Correcting the real problem is the only things will get better. It's most likely either caster shake, wheels/tires out of balance, or loose parts. Address those, THEN look to move on- Mark W.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Gotta love the dealership . . . just slap a bigger mask on there and call it a day. All the stabilizer does is cover up/mask smaller issues so you don't notice them until they get worse . . . a stabilizer is never the answer. Start by balancing the tires and looking for loose or worn parts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mine was fine when I ran 315/75/16 but when I FINNALY got my Mud Grapplers in a 38 I also had some wobble.It wasnt to bad till you hit a bump then you better have a good hold on the wheel.Took tires off to weigh them to make sure the ALL had the balancing beads in them .The next step was to upgrade the front lower control arms ,when I took the factory arms off I found one of the bushings was tore letting the axle move just enough to get the wobble started..After new arms NO MORE WOBBLE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts