Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,
Made a bone head move last night installing my new woody i had special ordered for my front. I over torqued the bolt on the clamp going to the front yoke on the transfer case. No sense in trying to retap that. Im going to order a replacement. How hard is it to swap? And what tool/oil do i need to make this happen as smoothly as possible... ALL THE HELP AND INPUT IS DEFINITELY NEEDED WITH THIS ONE. ABOVE MY PAY GRADE.

Thanks Guys!!!!

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Why not retap it? You just have to hold the yoke somehow and turn the nut off... You best have a good impact/socket set for this job. It can be VERY tough to get off with hand tools/breaker bar. But all it is is the one nut.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not retap it? You just have to hold the yoke somehow and turn the nut off... You best have a good impact/socket set for this job. It can be VERY tough to get off with hand tools/breaker bar. But all it is is the one nut.
What do you mean turn the nut off? I have a good impact and socket set (thats how i got myself into this mess the from the start. I over torqued the nut with my 3/8 drive like it was nothing) So am i better off re tapping it (i dont have any taps or dyes) or buying a new one and swapping it out?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Okay you said you stripped out one of the 4 holes for the drive shaft yoke, correct?

You want to replace that?

It slides over the front output shaft and is held on by a big nut, 1 1/8" I think.

You need to take that off. The yoke pulls right off. Put the new one on and retorque.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your talking about the bolt for the straps that hold the u-joint on right.? Just drill the holes out and change over to the u-bolt style, much stronger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts