Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I found threads about frozen locks, but not about frozen handles.

We've hit an early cold snap in the Northeast and we've noticed the door handles have been frozen. The doors unlock just fine, but the button for the handle simply won't push.

It's only happened on the rear doors so far, but I don't want to wait until the fronts freeze.

Have any of you encountered this one?

Any sense of what I might be able to do to keep the handle appropriately lubricated?

I know I can pour hot water on them to open them but would probably refreeze by the time the kids get to school, and then can't get out.

Thanks much.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Buy some lock de-icer. You can get it at Walmart or any Auto parts store. Stick it in the button just as you would a lock.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
My driver lock was frozen this morning in 22 degree temps here in NC. Had to craw into the passenger side which faced the sun all morning to open the door.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like daggo66 said, get some lock de-icer, they even make a compact one that you can carry with you. I live in the NE as well and temps dipped to -19 degrees today with the windchill! Another trick is to pour windshield wiper fluid over the handle (or anywhere there is ice such as the door jambs)...the fluid with the de-icer in it already works best.

good luck!

btw DO NOT USE WARM/HOT WATER, this may actually crack the plastic handle or if you get a little on the window that may crack as well! It's too cold this week.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. That makes sense and not sure why I didn't think of it.

I guess I figured "lock" de-icer would only work on a lock.:doh:

Sheesh. Must have been tired.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts