Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brand new '14 JKU that I just drove off lot 36 days ago is already in the shop. My husband drove it today and said it started idling funny. He turned it off- went in to his appointment and when he started it the check engine light came on. Luckily he was 3 miles from dealership. Service guys were already gone so we had to leave it. All they said was " huh, never seen a brand new jeep with engine problems" . My husband said it sounded like it was only running in 4 cylinders. Any guesses?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So my brand new '14 JKU that I just drove off lot 36 days ago is already in the shop. My husband drove it today and said it started idling funny. He turned it off- went in to his appointment and when he started it the check engine light came on. Luckily he was 3 miles from dealership. Service guys were already gone so we had to leave it. All they said was " huh, never seen a brand new jeep with engine problems" . My husband said it sounded like it was only running in 4 cylinders. Any guesses?
I'm having the same problem. My service light was on & I had to take it to the dealer 2 weeks ago, they had to replace an oxygen sensor. Just came back from NC & my light was on again. Jeep is at the shop for a deeper diagnosis. Frustrated because I just traded my 2012 for a 2014. Hope it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This also happened to me as well, and it turned out to be that I had defective spark plugs from factory and it was misfiring. If I would guess, you have the same problem. Cylinder 6 was the culprit in my engine, and it was a simple fix and I hope yours will be too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- that makes me feel a little better that it is a simple fix ( possibly). I will post when we hear back from dealership

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck today. When dealer started engine the light did not come on and it ran fine- therefore no active codes were seen on computer. Which means it will do it again at some point since there is a problem that could not be fixed

·
Registered
39 Posts
That really sucks. If it was a misfire it would have been left in history codes. I have my own semi pro scanner so I was able to scan mine right away, and was told it would be ok if I cleared it due to it being stored in history, so even thought the engine light was no longer on, it would still show that it was there. I needed their scanner to clear it from history. Please keep us informed as I am really curious.

Also, maybe it would be a good idea to get yourself a cheap scanner and keep it in your vehicle just in case. I use mine for my jeep, and all my friends vehicles too, super handy.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
No luck today. When dealer started engine the light did not come on and it ran fine- therefore no active codes were seen on computer. Which means it will do it again at some point since there is a problem that could not be fixed
If it does it again, get the codes and tell your dealer or look them up on line to see what it is.

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
  2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes as shown in the pic to the left. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list below to find out what they mean.
  3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
Here's a link to the codes and what they mean. I assume its current:

Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

·
Registered
192 Posts
Putting the code in google works wonders also. Hell my Jeep still has it's check engine light on no more eco mode for me. I just haven't had a chance to drop it off to the dealer yet I scanned it nothing too serious

1 - 8 of 8 Posts