Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going back and forth on going from my hard top to a Trektop. If I went Trektop, do I want the NX or Glide....Anyway, they had a $100 rebate offer, and Extreme Terrain had a $75 off for Cyber Monday, so I pulled the trigger.

Started the install yesterday, got about 1/2 way through and found that they didn't include the nuts, bolts and washers to attach the sunrider feature. I give customer service a call and the guy seemed frustrated, like this wasn't the first time they've been left out. Says they'll get them out ASAP and I should be able to complete the instillation without them. Luckily I had some nuts/bolts that would at least hold the parts together until the right ones arrive...

Get the top on, snap the snaps along the back cross bar, windows on, I'm following the video step by step and using their paper instructions. I try to pull the sunrider down, thinking I'm all done....it won't close! Ok, so I'm going to let it sit in the sun a bit and crank up the heater, because all of the online info says heat will help. After letting it sit a bit , it's very toasty in the Jeep and I was able to pull the top down far enough to get the latches to catch, but still not giving enouugh to fully close, so let it sit a while longer. Try again 30 minutes later and YES! Was able to close the latch! But now I have a new problem, all of the snaps on the back come unsnapped....oh well, I'll let it sit overnight and drive it tomorrow, maybe it'll stretch out...

Driving today I look in the rearview and there is a very noticeable crease in the back window from being packed....customer service says "it may correct itself," but how long do I wait until I'm told, "sorry, you should have notified us?"

Today I go all day, park on the top of the parking garage so it'll get extra sun. I can't get the snaps to snap in. I had to open the sunrider, and take out the windows to get enough slack to get them in, but got them. Put everything back in place, close the sunrider and yet again, all of the snaps come unsnapped!

So at this point, I'm beyond pissed. My wife, who didn't want me to order the top is not happy, because I should have just kept my hard top. Then to make matters worse, I download the rebate form and find out that I need the SKU on the box, that I sat out for our city's Friday recycle pick-up!

I've emailed their customer service with the issues, and I'm really hoping for a good outcome, but UGH, I've never had so many issues installing anything else on my Jeep! Anyone on here with similiar issues with the newer NX Twill? (Used to be called the NX Plus)

·
Retired Moderator
100,573 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Reactions: Aint_Right

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've had (am having) the following issues with the Supertop in twill. Ordered from Quadratec last spring.

1. One of the bars for the sunrider section were welded incorrectly. Promptly received a replacement bar from QT.
2. Couldnt get the side windows to stay in the door surround channel
3. Stitching started coming undone on a rear corner. QT sent a complete replacement. Told me to keep what I wanted and return the rest. I kept the frame and hardware on the Jeep and just replaced the fabric.
4. Windows wouldn't stay in door surrounds. At this point I felt it was no longer QT's issue and contacted bestop. They sent a complete replacement.
5. Windows wont stay in door surrounds. Bestop sent another replacement.

At this point it was October so I put the hard top back on. Was ti cold to attempt installation. I keep getting told it just needs to stretch and settle in but once the window starts pulling out of the surround the plastic lip on the window seems to take the deformed shape and wont stay in even if it did stretch enough. I believe the top is made too small/tight. It has to stretch inches and that's asking too much from such a small section of fabric. On the last install I spent about 6 hours on it. It was sitting in the sun with good temps. Worked it just a little bit at a time and let it rest and "stretch" before working it a little more. Didn't help. Still have the last top and a brand new one sitting in the garage. Not sure what I'm going to do come spring time.

I feel both Quadratec and Bestop provided excellent customer service. Took quite a while but I did get my $100 rebate. The twill looks better than any other top I'v seen. I think there are just some design or quality control issues in manufacturing. I have some pics in my build thread that show the issues.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Bestop PM'ed me here, that was a surprise! I've sent some info and photos and they are supposed to help me resolve the issues! I can say I'm very impressed with them at least reaching out...will update after I hear from their customer support team.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've similarly had good customer service from Bestop. They're a legit company.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I installed my nx twill plus last year. It was tight at first partly because the wires on each side were getting caught and not sliding. Then after a good rain soak it stretched out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After sending them some pictures and based on the issues, they are sending me a new top, rear window, and driver's side quarter window (which I didn't know was an issue, but they saw something in the pics). It will take a month before the replacement will arrive, because it's shipping from production...

I will say that I was happy to see dry floors after a rain yesterday!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Best Top costumer service is pretty good, but there is no denial that their products have some serious quality control issues. I bought a Twill sunrider and the first one started leaking after three months. Called them up and received a second one, that unfortunately I haven't been able to properly test, because every time it rains im not driving the jeep. Although I can tell this one seems to seal a little better there still way too much wind noise coming from the passenger side, probably will also leak as well. If it leaks I'll probably leave it as is because I don't want to deal again with getting another leaking sunrider, another box and more crap to keep in the garage. As for the rebates they are just crap, it is the 21st century why don't make a online rebate specially if you buy directly from them. I didn't use mine because way to many steps to get 50$. I went with Amazon price match instead, and got 150$ off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Normal, normal normal for any thing produced by Bestop. I met with their design engineer in Louisville Co after complaining loudly about a whistle sound on the windshield interface. Basically was told it was normal. Oh, yeah had to use a dremel tool to remove material so the Sunrider bracket would fit.
Bottom line, Bestop’s management invests in the “Customer Service” resource rather fixing their design and quality systems. Margins are high and unfortunately many buyers confuse “great” customer service with a business strategy that forces customers to waste their time, money and end up accepting an inferior product.
The good news is, I bought a used set of fabric doors and there’s no way you can now hear the whistle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts