Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing about Techron Fuel Additive and wondering if it makes sense to pour a bottle in my 2012 Rubicon. Thoughts?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
It may not help, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

·
Retired Moderator
100,506 Posts
I have been hearing about Techron Fuel Additive and wondering if it makes sense to pour a bottle in my 2012 Rubicon. Thoughts?
I use it at about every 5000 miles in my vehicles. I just picked up a 6 pack, at Costco on sale for about $10.00.

One bottle, treats up to 16 gallons, so just dump 11/2 bottles in mine, and fill her up!

Now is it really needed, (well that's anybody's guess), but I use it any way......:thumb:

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Chevron has been touting Techron as an additive that improves the performance of Chevron gas for years. It is supposed to be a detergent that improves performance by eliminating building and keep parts clean.

It is very possible that regular use of Techron does help clean the engine. The question is how much benefit do you get from the occasional use? As Daggo said, it probably can't hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Questions because as many times as I hear this will be a quick clean I hear of people having issue with it collecting in the tank and causing issues.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good stuff. Only one I use with my vehicles. I don't go crazy with the stuff, just a bottle every oil change.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Questions because as many times as I hear this will be a quick clean I hear of people having issue with it collecting in the tank and causing issues.
These may be old myths. Back in the 90s fuel was loaded with detergent additives to keep engines running build up free (clean). However, the exhaust fumes were not so clean so many were banned or limited by the EPA. Fuel systems have changed quite a bit since them and I don't think there are many arguments against keeping injection systems clean.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I personally stay away from fuel additives except for every 30k or so ill do a seafoam intake treatment along with a fuel system additive....I have seen guys who used them once a month or so who ended up with this buildup type of redish gunk on the spark plugs. at times the buildup stuff built up enough to bridge the gap of the plug and cause it to misfire very prematurely....although every time i have seen this i asked what kind of fuel additive they used and they give me the "how do you know i use fuel additive" look....they have all said they use whatever stuff they can get at the gas station which is usually some cheap junk imo.....i don't have any personal experience with the particular additive in question....a true concentrated intake fogging does 10x what any tank additive will do imo...if you are using it regularly and see the redish buildup on the plugs you will know the additive your using i garbage, if you look at a "how to read plug color" chart most of them have examples of fuel additive buildup so you know what to look for....its not that you should never use it just an example of how too much can do more damage than good

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Chevron, Texaco and Caltex have Techron mixed in their fuels.

Here are the best fuels for your engine according to seven automotive manufacturers.

Top Tier Gasoline
True stuff.

If you always use a top tier fuel, you're already running the best detergent.
If you occasionally can't get a top tier, a bottle of Techron every now and then can help.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Techron is a good product to use and it does help. Red Line makes a good FI cleaner as well. Just follow the directions for the product use and how often to use it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used a bottle of Seafoam recently, and, while I didn't notice any amazing changes, I do feel that it runs a little bit smoother. Haven't tried the Techron yet - maybe next oil change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts