Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 JKU Big Bear and am thinking about replacing the stock wheels with Fuel Anza D583s. No lift, and not contemplating one - here in NOVA even a gravel road is a rarity. Offset is -6 and backspace is 4.5, so they'll stick out a bit more, which is fine. I'm going to keep the stock 32" K02s. What concerns me is I have no idea on how they will drive on the highway. I do a 160 mile trek every weekend at speeds up to 80 and wouldn't be real excited about a significant degradation in handling, particularly on the highway. I have no idea if the scrub radius with these wheels is going to be changed in a good bad or indifferent way. Just looking for any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry, I hit "post quick reply" by accident.
It appears that your stock tires are probably 255/75R17s, right? Your stock rims are 17x7.5 with 44.5 mm offset. If you keep the same tire size and use a 17x8.5 Anza with -6mm offset, then the new package will stick out 50 mm (2'') farther.
That will put additional strain on the ball joints because the steering angle inclination is not adjustable (the angle of the steering knuckle), and your contact patch will move outboard, thus increasing your scrub radius angle. If you replace your ball joints with some heavy duty ones (I recommend the Teraflex or Alloy USA heavy duty ball joints), you should have no issues with components, but the Jeep will feel a bit different because the tires will want to toe in, particularly when you brake heavily.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I hit "post quick reply" by accident.
It appears that your stock tires are probably 255/75R17s, right? Your stock rims are 17x7.5 with 44.5 mm offset. If you keep the same tire size and use a 17x8.5 Anza with -6mm offset, then the new package will stick out 50 mm (2'') farther.
That will put additional strain on the ball joints because the steering angle inclination is not adjustable (the angle of the steering knuckle), and your contact patch will move outboard, thus increasing your scrub radius angle. If you replace your ball joints with some heavy duty ones (I recommend the Teraflex or Alloy USA heavy duty ball joints), you should have no issues with components, but the Jeep will feel a bit different because the tires will want to toe in, particularly when you brake heavily.
Thanks much gravelgarage. I'm assuming I'll be putting strain on the ball joints, so better ones will likely be happening now or in the future. What I'm trying to figure out is, what happens if my scrub radius increases from doing this? Less feedback from the tires? More? My jeep screeches like a banshee in parking lots? I do endless circles on the freeway? I'm probably worrying about nothing, just not sure what it is likely to mean for handling if I do this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, I really wish I could tell you but I don’t know how it’ll feel. I can tell you it will be VERY slight, and you needn’t worry about going in uncontrollable circles on the freeway. Even if you slam on the brakes from high speed, the worst that I can imagine is the car feeling a bit flighty as it gets traction in every slightly different lines from left and right from tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts